Cat Forum banner

slipper elm?

5K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Arianwen 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Yes, it's safe - I just sprinkle a little on Gracie's food once a day. I make sure to buy the powder or gel capsule form, so I can do that. I have never dealt with it in pill form - not even sure if it exists in pills...I have also found that probiotics (for cats and dogs) have been very helpful for Gracie overall. She is definitely on the sensitive side when it comes to digestion - when she experiences stress we always see it in the litter box (or not in the box, if you get what I mean :-( ).

Fran

#5 ·
Homeopathy is fantastic and my vet prescribes homeopathic solutions more often than pharmaceuticals, but please remember that it can't take the place of an actual veterinary diagnosis.

Be sure your cat does have what your treating it for and that it's not something MORE serious that requires urgent care.

#7 ·
she already saw a vet 4 times this year he tried stuff but some doesn't work she probably has a senstive stomach so no worries on the vet so i'm hoping this would work though she may have ibs just can't afford a indepth one it would be about 1000-1500 thats why my vet gives me predisone but she ran out and she has priobiotics. but i think the trigger is wet food. she did well on rabbit today from natures variety but that is to expensive to feed her every single day :(

#13 ·
Chicory is also fine for cats, not sure about the goldenseal or myrrh - they might be fine but I haven't heard about them.

The brand of herbal supplement shouldn't matter, not to worry.

Just be patient, if the slippery elm helps her you will see in a few days. All kinds of things can cause digestive symptoms, sometimes it is sensitivity to certain food ingredients, other times it is stress or reaction to other things entirely - such as guests, absent family members, construction noise, outdoor cats intruding into the yard, etc. etc.

Fran

#15 ·
Risami,

You said that you "ran out of" prednisone. It can be dangerous for your cat to stop receiving prednisone suddenly, particularly if she's been taking it for more than a few days. It's very important to gradually taper the dose of pred when discontinuing that medication. This is something you need to discuss with your vet as soon as you possibly can.

Laurie

#16 ·
well reason why he stopped cause he wants to see how she does in a week because we don't know the real casue of her diarrhea not unless i did an expensive test. she may not have ibs it could be a senstive stomache or allergies or digestive health.

she doesn't vomit thats for sure when i explain to him there was no blood in her stool but i did saw blood once though i think 2 weeks ago but that was it. i don't know what else to do really not unless i did an expesnive test but that is 1000-1500 dollars.

reason why he gave me medicine just to see how she does on it. she is on probitoic she is doing well on it just only the wet food triggers its it.

#17 ·
Rasami
I,m going to copy and paste somethings from a Diabetic Cat site I belong too, so if you see FD( feline diabetes) you will know why.

Slippery Elm Bark is also helpful to coat the intestine, helping stool pass easier (daily dose is 1/8 to 1/4 tsp), but it cannot be given within two hours of any other supplement or medication. It is available at health food stores and online sources.

The addition of a probiotic is helpful to restore healthy bacteria back into the gut and intestines. When a cat has been very ill a probiotic known to work very quicky to restore healthy bacteria is BioGaia. This probiotic contains the LReuteri strain and is commonly used for infants to treat colic. Once over the illness, for continued use, Country Life Acidolphilus has proven successful for FD kitties and was proven in FDA trials to be the top brand when it comes to live bacteria claims. FortiFlora is another probiotic which is used frequently. As with any medication or supplement, it is important to monitor your FD cat's BG to see if there is any reaction which affects BG. With probiotics, it is recommended to start out with a low dose and increase slowly over the course of a few days. A number of probiotics contain FOS; while in diabetic humans FOS does not appear to cause any issues with BG, FOS has proven repeatedly on forum to affect the BG in cats, and is believed to have caused gastrointestinal issues and it is therefore not recommended to purchase probiotics containing FOS for cats.

#18 ·
I don't understand some of the initials in the above post. BG, is that blood glucose (because it is from a diabetic site?)

But the main one causing me trouble is:

A number of probiotics contain FOS; while in diabetic humans FOS does not appear to cause any issues with BG, FOS has proven repeatedly on forum to affect the BG in cats, and is believed to have caused gastrointestinal issues and it is therefore not recommended to purchase probiotics containing FOS for cats.
What is meant by FOS?

Thanks

PS I am using Slipper Elm Bark for my cat who has GI issues. I have been fairly satisfied that it is helping her, but I am not happy about the large stools she is producing after having a dose, so I have cut her back from 1/4 teaspoon to 1/8 teaspoon on the days she gets it.

#21 ·
#19 ·
yeah seems i do need predisone still when i called vet i probably misunderstood him. but since she is going to be on predisone i did skip a day. how will the slipper elm effect it? will can pumpkin help? if i mix it in wet food? I really want to give her daily wet food without it triggering it her diarrhea. or should i give her medicine now and wait til 2 hours or 3 when she is hungry to try slippery elm and sprinkle it on her food instead?

#20 ·
Slippery elm bark must be mixed with water along with the canned food, because it gels. For 1/4 teaspoon of SEB I was adding 1 1/2 tablespoons of water mixed into about 3/10 of an ounce of canned food. Now that I am using only 1/8 teaspoon I am using a little less than a tablespoon of water. I stir it all until it is well mixed and wait a few minutes for the SEB to absorb all the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.