Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Over grooming, Hairballs and slightly off his food
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Marley_Cat
Kitten

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
When I took Cleo in recently for over grooming, it was fleas. ...P.S. Dry food does not clean teeth any more than eating Fritos would clean ours. I know some vets still believe that, but cats either shatter the dry food on the ends of their teeth, or swallow it whole.
Thank you for your reply.

I failed to mention that Marley is on Revolution for fleas, ticks and mites from early May through November. We administer it once a month, and I know it is absorbed into his system because he usually becomes quite subdued after the treatment for about a day or so, although he has never reacted badly to it. I can have the groomer inspect him for fleas, and will report back in mid September. My wife is sensitive to a lot of different bites, and we have not experienced flea bites considering the amount of carpeting in the home.

As for food, like resumes, everyone has an opinion about what is best and I mean absolutely no disrespect in saying this. Royal Canin is located in Guelph, Ontario, the home of the Veterinary College at the University of Guelph. The manufacturer has put a great deal of thought into the content, texture, form and function of their wet and dry foods.

One of the characteristics of the Maine Coon blend is that it is a 3/8" long x 3/8" diameter bite that must be chewed in order to be swallowed. The action of biting into the food helps to dislodge tartar which has improved Marley's dental health 100%. He lost two lower molars in his first year with us because the combination of wet and dry food was not helping. The Vet (who is exclusively cats BTW) pointed out that tooth loss can happen in this 'breed' (probably more so due to Marley's build than his pedigree) and suggested a change in food to prevent it. We buy our food from the local pet store. No problems since.

Thanks again.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome