Plain clay litter getting hard to find - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Plain clay litter getting hard to find

After trying a bunch of different types of litter, I found I like regular Fresh Step NON-scoopable clay litter. I like the plain clay litter because it's flushable as far as I know (providing all the lose litter is knocked off) and it just seems easier to me. I just scoop fecal matter everyday and dump the whole thing once a week.

Only problem--it's getting kind of hard to find. Most stores carry several different brands of scoopable litter, but I'm lucky to find one bag of non. And I'm jealous--because the other kinds come in nice bins, and I have to wrestle around with leaking, messy bags.
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2006, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

have a look on the net, froogle is excelent at find cheap stuff, and you can always get a cheapo clastic dustbin to keep it in, thats what i do with my dog food
jezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

I agree with Jezza, there's bound to be someone selling the litter on the Internet.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Clay litter is not flushable, and sooner or later you are going to block your plumbing.
Please read the boxes. Flushable litter tends to be made of biodegradable material like paper, pine, corncobs or wheat.
gizmocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

I've never actually heard of flushable litter, and clay litter probably would clog a toilet.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The litter is not flushable if you want to empty the entire box. No one should ever empty the entire box into the toilet.

Clumps of feces and urine are flushable if you use the following litters or their equivalent:

Nature's Miracle
Swheat Scoop
Yesterday's News
Feline Pine
World's Best Cat Litter

These are all made of organic materials that degrade over time.

A clay based litter is NOT flushable at ANY time. Clumps with clay based litter on them will eventually ruin your plumbing!

Sparklekitty, these are the flushable brands that I know of. I have used the Nature's Miracle for nine months with Gizmo and I simply put her clumps into the toilet at once. This disposes of the cat byproducts easily without messing up the pipes. There are more brands but all will state on the box whether they are flushable, and they also indicate that only clumps can be flushed, not the entire catbox full.
gizmocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Try Walmart or Target for an assortment of non-clumping clay litters.

Cheers!
AngelZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I would advise not flushing anything down your toilet -- even flushable cat litter. We had our toilets back up into the house about six months ago because of items that are supposed to be flushable but ended up clogging the pipes anyway.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow" -- Mark Twain
Hippyhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Wal-Mart's Special Kitty store brand cat litter does not claim to be either scoopable or non-scoopable, but it does not clump. I have heard plenty of people complain that it doesn't clump, which in this case would be excellent for you. It is also very, very lightly scented.

No one should pay more than $3 for plain clay litter.
roseeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

At my house, I'm the one in charge of my kitty's litter. So I scoop it once a day and put the plastic bag full of nasties into an empty container of litter, to contain the smell. Then at the end of the week, I throw it out. I think that it's less hassle to throw it out rather than flush it.