Is there really any dust-free litter? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Is there really any dust-free litter?

With 6 cats and 6 litter boxes, my house is beginning to look like fallout from volcanic ash! I can't keep up with it! Any suggestions, PLEASE, for a fairly dust-free litter? I'm currently using Arm and Hammer Multi-cat. And several of my cats also don't like a box with lid, so I have a few boxes open. Thanks so much.
sdk1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I think Multi-Cat litters are terrible. I use regular Arm 'n Hammer, and it's 99% dust free. The multi-cat litters get gummy and smelly.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Scoopable litters are usually dustier because of the finer grains. And generally, the cheaper a litter is the more dusty it is. The least dusty scoopable litter I've come across is the bulk Petco house brand. But because it's their bulk litter, it probably isn't the same litter in every store across the country. The least dusty regular litter I've come across is Tidy Cats. I'm comparing litters in the price range that most people would consider buying, not the expensive ultra-premium litters or the non-clay litters.

There's a new litter on the market I haven't tried which looks to be virtually dust-free. I don't remember the type of material (which was different than anything else I've seen) nor the brand name, unfortunatelly. I really wasn't too interested as it was something like $18 for the equivalent of about 10 pounds of clay litter.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Feline Pine.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Worlds Best. Its expensive but I like it.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Nature's Miracle is pretty much dust free, but it does track a lot. You need a good mat in front of the box(es). But I'd rather vacuum a few square feet than have dust all over everything in the room (my boxes are in my office and I work at home). I've yet to find the perfect litter, there always seems to be a tradeoff...

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

The new Tidy Cats brand is 100% dust free and I've used it in the past but I did have problems with it tracking through my home. I've used World's Best in the past until I got grain beetles in the litter. It's made out of corn.

Some clay litters are really dusty when you pour them in the box but then the dust settles and does not seem to create a problem when the cat uses the box.

I was using Petco brand cat litter which is low in dust levels but it was lousy at controling odors and although the litter is clumping I found myself cleaning out the boxes every week. I switched to EverClean, dusty when you first pour it into the box but supposed to be 99% dust free and does not create a problem once the clay is establihed in the box.

I recently ordered Precious Cat from Pet Food Direct which is now 99% dust free and unscented. Everclean's unscented version still has a strong scent. I'm in search for a cat litter with excellent odor control, does not produce a strong scent, has little to no dust, and is low tracking so hopefully Dr Elsey's Precious cat will work. It was highly reccommended by Dr Lisa Pierson www.catinfo.org. She has a section on litter box maintenance on her website and she has found Precious Cat to be the best.

If you want a clumping clay litter that is 100% dust free but don't want to order on line and don't mind the tracking, get Tidy Cats but make sure you get the right kind. It has to be the one in which the granules look like little balls and it has to say Tidy Lock technology.
moggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

moggiegirl the site for Catinfo.org is great. Thanks for sharing it

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook
Feline Pine.
I've gotten Feline Pine before but I had to switch back to a clay litter. It's great for urine but Leroy had problems covering up his #2 and as a result my bathroom was very, very stinky. Also it was difficult for me to scoop because the pellets were much larger than the holes in my scooper.
ck14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

agree! I use this too and what a huge difference! smell is non existant and much less tracking.. it's fabulous

Quote:
I think Multi-Cat litters are terrible. I use regular Arm 'n Hammer, and it's 99% dust free. The multi-cat litters get gummy and smelly.
vickih is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement