Cats won't eat tapeworm medicine.. What can I do? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Cats won't eat tapeworm medicine.. What can I do?

At least one of our 3 cats has tape worms, so I bought some tapeworm medicine. I know that it's almost impossible to feed them the tablets by itself as they won't eat it, so I crushed one of the tablets and mixed it into the favorite food of our kitties and separated Nancy (our Blue Russian) into a room (as I need to know which cat already ate the medicine and which ones didn't because I don't want to risk feeding each cat more than the required dose)
So, I put Nancy with food, water and litter box in one of our bedrooms at 4 PM and she still has not eaten anything of the food even though it's her favorite food.. It seems like the medicine adds some smell that she doesn't like.. I'm really glueless on how to get our cats to eat the medicine.. Is there a liquid version of tape worm medicine that I can just spray into their mouth?? What other methods can we use to get her to eat the medicine if even their favorite food (Sheba) won't make them eat their medicine?? Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

What's the medicine you tried using?
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Hide the pill in a bit of cheese. I had the same problem with pegs when she got a bit of eczema. She wouldn't touch anything if this pill had been sprinkled on. But the Cheese thing really worked.

Oh if she doesn't like cheese, put it in another soft treat she loves.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

At their last visit, the vet tech gave my kittens big Drontal tablets, because one was suspected of having a tapeworm.

She held each kitten's mouth closed, forcing him to swallow the tablet.
Dave_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster
What's the medicine you tried using?
Tradewinds Tape Worm Tabs..(Praziquantel)
Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Hide the pill in a bit of cheese. I had the same problem with pegs when she got a bit of eczema. She wouldn't touch anything if this pill had been sprinkled on. But the Cheese thing really worked.

Oh if she doesn't like cheese, put it in another soft treat she loves.
Well, her favorite treat is Sheba, so I sprinkled the pill into sheba.. She wouldn't eat a single bite.. She just smelled it and didn't eat it. She doesn't eat cheese...Tried also to mix it into her favorite dry food and she spit out the tablet once she got to it..
Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

My only method is wrap them tight in a towel so the cant scratch you, grab the back of their necks and shove the medicine in as far as you can. Then try to hold their mouths shut till they swallow. Then put them down and run like ****. Then my cat will usually throw it up

My one cat I can sit on my lap open his mouth and just put the medicine in... the other I have to wear kevlar .

____________________________________________-

How to give the cat a pill

1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.
3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.
4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.
6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.
7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.
9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
12. Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.
13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.
14. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.
15. Arrange for SPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How to give the dog a pill

1. Wrap it in bacon.

sinister7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_L
At their last visit, the vet tech gave my kittens big Drontal tablets, because one was suspected of having a tapeworm.

I couldn't do that myself..I'd have the doctor do that.. I'd feel too bad if I would force them to swallow it...
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My vet showed me how he pills cats.
With their body parallel to the floor, place your right hand on top of the cat's head. Your index finger and thumb should be closest to the cat's nose, while the heeel of the hand rests toward the back of the cat's head. Place your index finger and thumb on opposite sides of the cat's mouth, gently grabbing the upper jaw while the heel of your hand remains steady,
As you gently pull back on your , the nose of the cat should start pointing to the ceiling and the mouth opens.
Pop the pill in, to the back of the mouth, and let the nose down just enoughfor the mouth to close. Hold the nose there, gently rubbing the neck with the left hand, if necessary, to stimulate swallowing. The tongue comes out when the pill is gone.
It just took me longer to type this than it does to pill the cat. If you don't have someone to hold the cat's body for you, wrap them in a towel.
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley
Old 08-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_L

I couldn't do that myself..I'd have the doctor do that.. I'd feel too bad if I would force them to swallow it...