Does your vet give you a multiple cat/pet discount? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Does your vet give you a multiple cat/pet discount?

The last time I took my cats in I took all three at the same time for an annual checkup and boosters. I was charged a $52 office visit fee for EACH of the cats on top of the booster vaccines. Now, I would understand if she spent three times her time looking over the three cats, but she only spent about 15-20 mins. total in the exam room which is the same as she does whenever I bring one cat alone.

Does your vet offer an office visit discount when you bring more than one animal at a time or am I just in dreamland here? Besides, I'm curious since I'm probably going to shop vets in the future anyways- I'm kind of disatisfied since she doesn't seem to thoroughly check the cats at routine exams and their vet techs are rude. You want to feel belittled and like a horrible cat owner- take your cat to my vet and have it weigh 13 lbs- apparently I'm "killing my cats with food".

But if there is such a thing as multiple pet discounts then I'd make sure to ask about that when looking for a new vet.
SesameStGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: Does your vet give you a multiple cat/pet discount?

I know that some people have nice vets that do that, but I don't. With all the animals that I have a discount would be much appreciated.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Leazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I use one of my local vets in town for problems (eye problems, ill = exams & bloodtests, euths) and rescues who need immediate attention, like LuckyDuck who needed a cup of pus drained and stitches like Frankenstein.

I do not bring her my cats for yearly exams, shots or spay/neuter. I cannot afford the office visit (per cat) when I have 10 cats, even if I spaced them out to one/month.

I use my equine vet, who comes to my house for one $60 fee and treats my horse and my kitties, who I contain in my home. Thank heavens Dusty and Pretty are tamed and can stay inside for extended periods of time!

I use nearby Humane Societies to spay/neuter and I have also taken advantage of area groups who offer s/n coupons to use with various vets in the area.

*I understand vets have obligations and cannot offer their services for free or charity all the time. They have school loans, their own household to maintain, in addition to the mortgage on their business and all its' costs and payroll. Veterinary care doesn't come cheap, but I do think it could be more affordable by making their monies in quantity instead of larger prices for various services.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Answering the OP: Yes, mine does that, though it's not that much. There's a one-time office visit fee of $7.00 and then it's an additional $32.00 per cat. So bringing in all three cats at once for an annual exam would save me $14.00.

$52 seems like a pretty steep fee to me, unless you live in a major metro area. In which case, fees are higher because the vets' cost of business is higher, though the average income is higher, too, so it kind of balances out, I guess.
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
*I understand vets have obligations and cannot offer their services for free or charity all the time. They have school loans, their own household to maintain, in addition to the mortgage on their business and all its' costs and payroll. Veterinary care doesn't come cheap, but I do think it could be more affordable by making their monies in quantity instead of larger prices for various services.
While I agree with that, I think veterinary prices have gone up far more than is justified by the above. I can only speculate that part of it is just vets' desires to make more money, and they're taking advantage of more people HAVING more money to spend on their pets. (That's not me, btw)
coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I get a discount for taking multiple pets in at once. I honestly don't know how much it is, because I try to avoid looking at the bills. The three large run just under 600 for their annual check, immunizations, stool check, heartworm check and blood work for Ben. We are always there for an hour.

I want to get Zoey, Talley and Harper on the same schedule, but right now 2 are due in January and one in May.
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley
Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 4
I get a discount for taking multiple pets in at once. I honestly don't know how much it is, because I try to avoid looking at the bills. The three large run just under 600 for their annual check, immunizations, stool check, heartworm check and blood work for Ben. We are always there for an hour.

I want to get Zoey, Talley and Harper on the same schedule, but right now 2 are due in January and one in May.
See, I wouldn't be complaining about paying an individual office visit fee if she spent 15 minutes on each cat instead of 15 minutes on all three cats TOTAL. I just feel like I'm being ripped off since she's making over 600 bucks an hour on the service that she provides me. But it appears from you guys that if there is a multiple pet discount it is minimal which is fine just as long as proper service is being provided with the money that is spent on an office visit.

And I don't live in a major metropolitan area per se, I live in a suburb of Buffalo NY. The reason I chose this vet is A)proximity to my first apartment and B)they have GREAT hours includings all evenings and Saturdays.
SesameStGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My vet helps out with the humane society. So when i went to adopt a 2nd Kitten ( carmen) the vet gave me a free exam. Anyone that adopts a 2nd cat/kitten gets a free vet visit and some care package .
TigerKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement