Can cats miss a former owner? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Can cats miss a former owner?

As long as we're talking about cats' ability to love and other emotions, I wondered about whether they have the capacity to miss someone. When we adopted Murphy from the SPCA, he had been there 1.5 months and had spent the first almost 2 years of his life with other owners. What we're thinking about, of course, is giving a kitty a good home . . . but are we forgetting that they might miss the former owners? Do you think they have that capacity?

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Can cats miss a former owner?

That's a very interesting question... I think we'd like to think they'd miss us if they had to go somewhere else, but I don't know.
I would suggest it depended on the cat and it's quality of life with the previous slav... er humans. For example if Peggy had been in a house with every imaginable luxury she's able to get out of her previous owners, then she might have missed them for a few weeks, maybe even a couple of months. But I know she's happy here because she doesn't run away.

I do know Peggy doesn't miss her 4' by 4' by 8' cage she was in when she found us.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

When I go away and my roommate's babysit Nito, they tell me that he cries all night, and goes on destructive rampages even worse than his usual daily antics! Not only that, but he won't accept food from my roommate Mary, even though she feeds him at the same time, the same amount, and the same food that I always feed him.

Try to tell me that he doesn't miss his mama!

& the rest of the furry family: Elfie, Rusty & Rico
Always in my heart: Lil'Fella & Kovie

Certified Veterinary Emergency Technician
RachandNito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Absolutely...short term and long term.

We saw it most with Onyx. I traveled quite a bit for my job and she would go stay at my parents. They said that she would wander around looking for me for a couple days, then settle in. Or every time a car pulled up run to the window to see if it was me. But that would stop after a couple days.

Onyx spent a lot of time at my parents, not only when I was traveling, but I'd also spend at least 2 weekends a month there and we lived with them for a year. So she was very attached to them. When they moved to Florida and she didn't see them for months at a time, whenever they came to visit they got a very enthusiastic greeting, which she didn't do for anyone else.

Kobi is also very attached to my Dad and runs to him immediately when he comes in the door, yapping away. Whenever anyone else comes in, Kobi runs and hides for a while. So that says he remembers him and is glad to see him.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

When I got my tuxy my son came and stayed with him while I was in Switzerland. Will said he would circle the house every night calling for me.
To this day when I come home he is the first at the door and giving me head butts and stretching up my leg asking me to pick him up. I know they miss their people.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

This sheds new light on what cats are going through when they're adopted. In addition to having their whole world turned upside down, they're probably missing the previous owners. I guess if they go from owner to shelter cage to new owner, they're just happy to get out of the cage? I wonder if a couple months in a shelter cage is long enough to wipe out their memory of the previous owners? I just think it sheds light on what a huge transition it would be, from the cat's viewpoint, to be adopted. They're very adaptable animals.

Holly and Murphy
Old 12-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I think so. Duchess is so attached to me, she misses/gets mad at me if I go away for a day. I know if she was rehomed she'd miss me, maybe not forever, but it'd take her a while to adjust. I'm also the only person she likes. All my cats I had since they were newborn or under 7 weeks, so I don't think they miss anyone.
Loving_My_Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I totally agree on this!

The saddest story I have ever heard about kitties missing their owners was the experience of my dear friend who teaches a yoga class I attend, who had a 19-year old kitty, the survivor of a brother-sister pair. Two summers ago my friend had the opportunity to go to India to attend a celebration in honor of her master yoga instructor's 80th birthday (I think that was the occasion) - thousands of people from around the world were going. Before she left she went to see family for a five-day trip, came home for a weekend and then left again for the three weeks in India.

At the time her kitty was on a slow decline for CRF, but stable. She was deeply attached to her, so she was careful to arrange a very reliable cat sitter from her veterinarian's office come in twice a day to feed and hydrate her. Her housemate was gone too, and her daughter was away at a summer camp.

Her kitty was okay for the first absence of her momma, but when my friend left a second time on the longer trip the kitty became despondent. She died the night before my friend returned. I have never said a word to my friend, but I am sure her kitty was convinced that my friend was never coming back, and being alone, despite the visits from the caretaker, was too much for her. The thought of that poor kitty with a broken heart is too much. This sad story has made me resolve that years from now, when Gracie's time is near, Hubby and I will do whatever it takes to be by her side in her waning days...

Fran
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

What a sad story.

Holly and Murphy
Old 12-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by October
As long as we're talking about cats' ability to love and other emotions, I wondered about whether they have the capacity to miss someone. When we adopted Murphy from the SPCA, he had been there 1.5 months and had spent the first almost 2 years of his life with other owners. What we're thinking about, of course, is giving a kitty a good home . . . but are we forgetting that they might miss the former owners? Do you think they have that capacity?
Let me ask - do the former owners have the capacity to miss their cat? I'll say no.
Advertisement