Spaying a Pregnant cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Spaying a Pregnant cat

Ok so everyone knows I have a pregnant cat well the vet I took her to the day I got her just called and said they have a opening for friday to spay would I be interested.

I know the health risk I did learn that in school.
But the mormal side of me is stuck in two places.

One there are enough kittens in the world If I do this I would be preventing more mixed breed kittens that could possibly give birth to more. And she could have no more kittens I am spaying her either way but I feel like if I can do this now I am some how not adding to the population.

Two I am in a sense aborting the kittens. Is it wrong right I know people have there apions. I am not looking for the opins. I know ther out there I am looking for.

She is a mix breed. I can research all I want to. Does not mean every home will be these kittens 20 year homes life happens. Chrildren get cancer. House burn down people loose ther job. People has to move for the milarty. You cant always say this is forever.
If my husband died tomorrow I would have to get rid of every animal I own. I could not afford it on my salery alone.

Point being what should I do? Spay her now or wait? I am very capible of taking care of her and the kittens. Thats not the issue. The issue is do I in a sense add more problem to this world or do I stop it befor it truly happens?

Please dont bash me for asking this. I am not looking for arguement either in this topic. I am looking for the answer. What would you do in this situation?

Thanks
Kat/Echo

Old 04-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Re: Spaying a Pregnant cat

When she is so far along (sounds like she is from what you have said in other posts), I would not personally be able to do it and feel right about it.

katlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I think life is sacred. I'm sorry, as I know that doesn't help. However, when we were young and had very little money, I didn't know better. I thought it was wonderful to have little white kittens to care for. I found good homes for all of them.

That leaves the issue of too many cats. I realize that is the practical side, but I could not live with any sort of abortion. After the kittens are weaned, there are organizations which will give you a good price for spaying. I strongly recommend spaying and neutering before 6 months.

There is great information, including low cost neutering, in the Sticky Forum:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10228

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#pa

I wish you the best.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

For me, it really would depend on how far along she is.
If it's still somewhat early on (the kittens wouldn't survive if they were born) I would go ahead and spay her. I know it's a tough decision but, personally, I think of all the already born, healthy, living cats being euthanized simply because they can't find homes.
Ultimately, you have to make a decision you can live with.
Good luck!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Ultimately its your choice.

When I was presented with the idea of bringing Ginger home two weeks ago, my initial thought was, let's spay her. Then I got her here and I could see the babies moving in her belly, and I knew there was no way I could take their lives. But I also knew that I was going to make darn sure that those babies at very least the females wouldn't leave my house until they were spayed/neutered.

I wish that I could have gotten to her sooner, because it breaks my heart to know that so many cats are euthanized each year--and I'm bringing more in. But I also realized that I took her from a teenager in a horrible neighborhood where nobody spays or neuters their pets or vets them and by me doing that and raising these babies right and letting my teens at work hear what is happening to these cats, maybe they will realize (even if just one realizes) the responsible way to raise a pet--it'll make a difference.

Leslie
Jack&Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I recently had a dream that my [recently spayed] 9 m.o. cat got pregnant and I had to make this choice! In the dream, I decided to let her have the kittens.

Kittens are so cute and cuddly that I don't think it would be hard to find them new homes, but hopefully she is only carrying a few of them. If I were you, I would let her have the kittens and spay her after they're weaned. It's true that there is an overpopulation problem, but personally I wouldn't feel very good at all about the alternative in your situation.

Do whatever you think is right... follow your instincts. I wish you the best of luck.
ladylilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Hi Kat,
I have done both. It is a very difficult decision, and one that has long-reaching ramifications for both the cat and the person making such a decision. I am glad you are thinking about it, but you need to do what is right for you, and what your conscience can stand. Nothing is 'wrong' with either decision. Neither is one more 'right' than the other. What it is, is just a very difficult decision to make while being aware of all of the facts and making a decision that is best for the cat at that time/place in its' life.

Most of our cats showed up as ferals on our property that we took in and nursed to health and tamed/socialized. Some had litters of kittens while they were feral and I was able to catch all of the kittens, tame/socialize them and get them into an adoption program so they all were s/n/vaccinated and found homes. The mother cats were also caught and spayed. Shadow has been the only cat to have kittens in my home.
Pretty was a feral cat who had a litter and was very pregnant with her 2nd litter. I was able to trap her 1st litter (they were about 10+ wks old) to tame/socialize and go through the adoption program. I trapped Pretty about a day later, and going through the same adoption center, they were able to have her TNR'd for me. (TNR = Trap Neuter Release)

Personally, I would prefer to have a cat spayed as early as possible. If the cat were pregnant in the very early stages, I feel it is an easier spay for both the cat and the veterinary staff. I feel late-term spays are harder on both the cat and the staff, having to eliminate the life of those close-to-term kittens. With Pretty, I had no other options available to me. I had her 1st litter in my Master bath/bedroom to tame and I had no where safe to keep Pretty so she could birth and care for her kittens while I tamed her. I *had* to trap her and have her spayed, whenever I could catch her. I was unable to wait until a time I could be certain she would not be pregnant. Being feral/outside, she could have kittens, become pregnant shortly after giving birth and about the time she would be weaning the first litter, then she would be giving birth to the next litter, and getting pregnant again after having given birth. It was a very quick cycle, and with no way to isolate her, TNR while pregnant was my only option.
I eventually *did* tame her and she has become a good housecat, but it has taken many years (4) to get her to this point.

I recently rescued/fostered three young female cats. Two were trapped when they were about 3-4mo old. After they went through the program, a pregnant 7-9mo old Tortoiseshell cat showed up at my patio so I brought her in and sent her through the adoption program.
This is my "cop-out":
After I brought her inside, I called the adoption center and they agreed to include her in their program. With their program, their policy is to spay all female cats, regardless of any stage of pregnancy. In my own mind, by calling and getting her accepted into their program, I did not feel like she was 'mine' to make decisions about, so my conscience was clear when taking her for her pregnant spay appointment.
I know how hard this decision is. Best of luck to you.
Heidi =^..^=
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Hubby won't let me do it. He said let her have the kittens.

So I am going to let her. Now mabye I can find a program that will spay and nueter before there adopted out. I don't know in houston everything is scares to many BYB.

One more question why wont she go near hubby? During the day when he is gone she is all love yada yada. When he gets home its back into hinding. I dont get it.

And what are some questions I can ask adopters. I plan on making a contract. And how can I make it legal what is a good adoption fee being a vet tech they will have one set of shots and been wormed at 2 4 6 8 weeks like they need to be.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Some cats are "one woman" or "or one man" cats. And some animals don't like men, period....(or they might dislike women) I have seen cats for adoption with that message.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Jeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ_1988
One more question why wont she go near hubby? During the day when he is gone she is all love yada yada. When he gets home its back into hinding. I dont get it.
I feel it is most likely attributed to socialization and possibly just a vestige of survival-instinct. If the cat does not have enough positive experiences with men, they can behave very shy/frightened. I also think sometimes it is the deeper voice men have, and/or it could also be something to do with men...just being...men. You know; size, how they speak, move and generally smell. ...not that men smell bad, but that perhaps some animals are sensitive to what appears to them, to be 'dominant male' beings giving off waves of testosterone.

In our cat-household, only a very few cats had ever been very comfortable with my husband. This would hurt his feelings, because he wanted to love on them and enjoy them as much as I did, but they never stayed around him. After he quit smoking, the kitties became MUCH more happy to be around him: to be petted, picked up and carried and will follow him around and sit/lay with him.
Even Pretty, the former feral. Hubby has worked diligently to gain her trust. It began with just speaking softly to her, walking past her without reaching out to touch her, giving her a treat in the kitchen (though now, every time he goes to the kitchen, she's hot on his heels wanting a goodie!) and she will now hop up on his lap to snuggle, likes to be petted by him and last night she let him pet her feet, and ultimate sign of trust.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement