Used flea spray on my cat - Is she going to die? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Used flea spray on my cat - Is she going to die?

Hi all,

I have a 4.5 years old cat and since we got her fixed, she started to have back spasm. After couple of years, we noticed the back spasm is getting a little bit worse. The back spasm starts and she immediately jumps and runs and then starts licking her back. So I thought it could be flea. I went to Petsmart and picked Sentry flea spray for cats and sprayed on her. She obviously didnít like it and for the rest of the night, she stayed in her room quietly and didnít care to join us downstairs. She seemed pretty angry at first and then too calm. She is drinking more water and I saw her eating food, too, so, no loss of appetite there. She is a really friendly cat so her behavior last night was a bit strange.

Iíve then came across some horror stories about some cat owners who lost their cat due to the poison effect related to flea spray and am so worried about my cat nowÖ

I was wondering if any of you had used flea spray and if so, what your catís reaction to this was. Are these really dangerous to be used on cats?

If God forbidden, something is wrong with my cat, how long after I sprayed this, the symptoms will start to show and finally please let me know what I should do at this point.

Thanks,
Tez
tezarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Default Re: Used flea spray on my cat - Is she going to die?

Firstly: Don't panic. While flea treatsments such as this can cause adverse reactions, they don't do it everytime. Your cat could be perfectly fine. However, to be safe, give your cat several baths to wash away chemicals. I was my cats with a bit of ivory liquid dishsoap to combat fleas (and they come out smelling lovely).

Secondly, go invest in a flea comb. They're not very expensive and pretty effective. Give her a through burshing and you will be able to see whether or not she has fleas: flea dirt (and maybe an actual flea!) will be coming off her coat.

Thirdly, if she does have fleas, take her to the vet and ask for a product like Advantage.
Jeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Permethrin is the chemical you really want to look out for. If she was poisoned, look for signs such an listlessness, vomiting, and even foaming at the mouth. We bathed my cat Rusty with flea shampoo several years ago, and it soaked into his skin causing a reaction. He was feverish for several days, very listless, very depressed. We took him to the vet to treat him for dehydration, and after being given fluids he was just fine.

By the sound of it, your kitty will be just fine too. If something was horribly wrong, I think you would know by now.

& the rest of the furry family: Elfie, Rusty & Rico
Always in my heart: Lil'Fella & Kovie

Certified Veterinary Emergency Technician
RachandNito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Side bar FYI dont use Hartz products either. Esp their flea collar. The only safe treatment of fleas is Advantage from the vet or the baths and flea combs recogmended in the other post by Jeckel.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezarin
...she started to have back spasm. After couple of years, we noticed the back spasm is getting a little bit worse. The back spasm starts and she immediately jumps and runs and then starts licking her back.
Please check out "feline hyperesthesia". I'm on an ancient computer (Mom's) and cannot provide links. Sorry.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezarin
...she started to have back spasm. After couple of years, we noticed the back spasm is getting a little bit worse. The back spasm starts and she immediately jumps and runs and then starts licking her back.
Please check out "feline hyperesthesia". I'm on an ancient computer (Mom's) and cannot provide links. Sorry.
Nito has that condition! When he's stressed, and you touch his haunches or back it causes uncontrollable twitching that enrages him and causes aggression.

& the rest of the furry family: Elfie, Rusty & Rico
Always in my heart: Lil'Fella & Kovie

Certified Veterinary Emergency Technician
RachandNito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks to all of you for your great replies. I've been monitoring her very closely and looks like she's been eating, drinking and goind to the bathroom as usual. She was even a little more friendy (not completely like before we spray her though!). If nothing has happened yet (I sprayed her on Oct. 27 at around 9 PM), does it mean she will be OK? I would never ever spray those shelf sprays on her just can't take the risk...

The spray did have Permethrin (around 0.1%)

Jackel, thanks for your recommendation, i'll def. buy that comb...

Now I'm thinking maybe as RachandNito said, the cat was just nervous and there was no fleas or anything...sigh.... she is an indoor cat after all.
tezarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Slightly off topic, but...

...do indoor cats get fleas?

Can a cat that goes outdoors for short times get fleas is it doesn't associate with other cats?

Is there a time of year when fleas are prevalent?

Thanks for any answers.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

They can, but it's not too common. If there are fleas in your yard, they may hitch a ride inside on YOU. I have NO fleas on my indoor cats and I also have dogs who (of course) go in and out -- the dogs get Frontline Plus (but only every 8 weeks March-Oct.).
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement