Adopting from Craiglist - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Adopting from Craiglist

I need some advice from people who have adopted a cat from craigslist before. As hard as I try, I still can't get rid of the idea that I really want another orange tabby, even though Fred has brought us back up to three cats. I had never considered craigslist before, but orange tabbies, especially kittens, usually go fast in the shelters. I learned very quickly that "free" kittens from craigslist will end up being more expensive than a $25 kitten from the shelter who is already vaccinated and spayed/neutered. But in my search I found this guy: http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pet/1798456392.html. He's already neutered so that takes a huge expense off me. I've emailed the person giving him up, but like the post said, she's only had him for 6 months and thinks he was dumped by his owners. If someone is so irresponsible to just dump their cat, how can I know that he has been taken care of by them? One of my concerns is cost. I'm prepared to provide him food, toys, a clean litterbox plus vaccinations, flea/heartworm prevention, annual vet visits and other medical issues that may arise in the future. I'm not prepared to take on a cat that has serious medical issues up front. Not only for the cost reasons, but I also don't want to expose my current cats to any serious health problems. I would keep him separate at least until he can see a vet to make sure he can't get the other sicks. But I also don't know if I am mentally or emotionally prepared to adopt a cat who could have something serious where I'd have to immediately get him a new home or even put him to sleep. I know that adopting a cat like this guy off craiglist is helping to prevent him from going to the shelter or worse. But at the same time adopting a cat from the shelter makes room for all the cats waiting to be put in the adoption program. And I know that cats are the shelter are basically healthy - no serious issues (FIV/feluek) and have been treated for less serious issues (infections, heartworm) and they are all spayed/neutered and given all age-appropriate vaccinations.

I'm not very good at dealing with death, so I think I'm not sure what to do because Leo hasn't been gone very long. I'm about 90% sure I don't want another kitten. They are so adorable, but I've learned how heartbreaking (and expensive) it can be having a kitten. The only memories I have of Leo is of him as a kitten, so for now I want all my orange tabby kitten memories to be of Leo and not someone else. I'm not too worried about getting a fourth cat and I know I'll give a new cat a good home. Deciding to adopt Fred was such an easy decision for me, I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this one.

Aside from all that, I feel tremendous guilt about adopting orange tabbies. They are not as common in the shelter and when they are there, they don't stay long. I feel like I could be adopting a cat that would have more trouble finding a new home than a cat that would easily get adopted by someone else. Every time I brought my three cats in for their first visit, the vets tell me how happy they are that I've adopted a black cat. I realize I can't save every animal who needs help, but I feel like I should do what I can for a cat who might need me more than another cat does.

So I don't know what to do about this... Any help/advice/suggestions would be appreciated!
SpaceyKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Default Re: Adopting from Craiglist

I do realize that I started out asking about craigslist and ended up talking about very different problems. (I tend to get off track, lose my train of thought, and ramble, hence the "Spacey" in my name...) Advice is always appreciated on dealing with guilt/death but I know ultimately I'm the only one who can fix that problem. But I definitely need advice on getting a cat off craigslist!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I don't have experience with adopting off Craig's List (oh Marrriiiieeeeee.......), but I was surprised to see what you said about orange cats going fast in shelters. Is that true? I've never heard that. Murphy had been at the shelter 1.5 months when I found him on the listings, but if I hadn't come along who knows how many more months he might have been there. (He wasn't out in the adoption area where anyone could have seen him.)

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
how can I know that he has been taken care of by them?
You will never really know what happened to this guy or how he was cared for up until now. You'll only know for sure if you decide to take him and take a chance.

I just took in two 4 week old kittens from an ad I found on craigslist about 3 weeks ago. They were abandoned by their mother in someone's yard. They've been to the vet and were treated for a URI and are doing wonderful now. They still need to be tested at 12 weeks for FIV, etc. They are also being treated for worms, etc. I was looking to adopt from a shelter and would have preferred to but something drew me to this ad. Best thing I ever did

With your ad, it's a tough situation. I don't think there is any gurantees if any animal is going to be sickly have a illness down the road, even from a breeder. Adopting from a shelter will save you some money up front because they will be updated with shots and be S/N and you'd probably have a better idea of age, etc. With this ad, the person who has been taking care of him is just estimating his age. He could be a 10year old cat or older for all she knows. He could have underlying illness or disease. An adult shelter cat could be fine when you adopt him but come down with some kind of illness or disease down the road as well. I think your best bet would adopt from a shelter, at least you'd know for right now whatever cat you adopted was in good health.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Renee
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I just wanted to add. I think adopting a cat/kitten off craigslist is great, you just need to be very careful who you deal with and go with your gut when talking to someone. There is so many scams and dishonest people posting it's kind of scary. There are a lot of good people too who are trying to find good loving homes.

I think I'd be weiry of 3rd party situations though like in this. Just my opinion.

Renee
Old 06-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'd like to believe that, but I've also adopted a 2-year old cat from a shelter and ended up losing her 2 years later to a serious illness. Then I adopted another 2-year old from a shelter, and he hasn't had a single health issue in the 2 years we've had him.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
I was surprised to see what you said about orange cats going fast in shelters. Is that true?
October -- I asked the volunteer/foster coordinator at the shelter about this when I really started thinking about another orange tabby last month. I noticed a lot less orange tabbies so I asked if they were less common or just adopted more. She said that they really are just adopted faster. When I've looked through their intake rooms full of cats waiting to be reviewed/vetted there is a much higher proportion of orange tabbies than in their adoption rooms. I haven't been volunteering long, but from what I've seen, the orange tabbies don't usually stay more than a couple weeks once they're available for adoption. Many of the orange tabby kittens are actually requested by people before they're ready, so go to a home without spending time in the adoption rooms. I've only seen one orange tabby cat that has been at the shelter more than a couple months. At that point they put her in a PetSmart to get her more attention. I'm not sure if she has been adopted yet, but she hasn't been there too long yet. I think the ones that do take longer to adopt are usually scared and hiding under furniture so they don't get noticed.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I know I could get a cat that has illness later on no matter where I get it. I got my little Leo from the shelter when he was 2.5 months and he was healthy overall aside from a little ringworm. But 9 months later he ended up with FIP and passed away.

The woman who posted this ad seems like she tried doing a good thing by taking in an abandoned cat either in spite of her child's health issues or later found out about the health issues. I asked her if he was vaccinated and she said that he has not seen a vet in the last 6 months but she did no he's not current on vaccinations. I did kind of wonder why she seemed so confident that he's not up to date on vaccines but was unsure about him seeing a vet recently before she took him in. She hasn't mentioned a rehoming fee yet, so it doesn't she's just trying to sell me a sick cat. But all of this assumes she is telling the truth about everything. I'm not sure how trusting I want to be of craigslist ads.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

She sounds like she did a nice thing by taking this cat in and at least feeding and giving him shelter, but she really doesn't know anything about this cat unless she took it to the vet. It doesn't sound that way. He could have issues going on and the only way you'll know for sure is if you take him to a vet yourself. It's a chance, but so is buying from a breeder or a shelter. This is just more risky. You sound alittle unsure, I would go with my feelings on this if it were me.

These two kittens I took in I took a big chance as well. I also already had an adult cat in my home that I had to worry about. I know they are babies and they seem to be in good health at this time but you really don't know when they were raised outside. My husband and I fell in love with them now, and it would be horrible to find out they are positive for FIV or something else down the road. That would really suck but I know it could be a possibility.

Since then the adult cat we had was returned to the breeder due to personal issues, so if these kittens are positive down the road we wouldn't have to worry about them infecting our other cat but it would still be sad. I just pray they are fine, they sure seem more then fine

Renee

Renee
Old 06-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I got Cinderella and Cleo from Craigslist. Cinderella was in perfect health and I was given her complete medical records from when she was 5-6 weeks old. The woman I adopted Cleo from wasn't honest about her, and she became sick a few weeks after I adopted her. I don't know why she lied to me about Cleo being an indoor/outdoor kitty, but because she did, when I took her in for her "new kitty" check-up, she wasn't given a dewormer because I was told she was indoors only. She had parasites. Easily treated normally, but because I didn't know why her third eyelids were showing, I took her to the E.R. and several tests were run. grrrrrrrrrrr

Ask the woman if you can take the cat to the vet and get him checked out, and if there are any health problems, you can return him. That's really the only way I can see that you'll know if he's healthy. On one hand, you would have done this anyway if you adopted him, right? On the other, if he has problems you don't want to deal with, you've spent money on a cat you're returning.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement