How do you know if your cat is too hot? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default How do you know if your cat is too hot?

Hi, It's REALLY hot here, 35 degrees at least every day now. My BF is dying and thinks we should shave the cat (Persian, looooong hair). I am not sure, I don't think she will like it and she is not panting or anything.
Inside the apartment the thermometer says 30....She seems ok though, more comfortable than the people! How can I tell? Thanks!
Weniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Re: How do you know if your cat is too hot?

If a cat is stressed or over heating they will pant. Just make sure you have lots of water available for your cats at all times. Some cats freak out getting shaved. If you have persians I cant help but think one day you will have to shave her anyway because of all the matts which persians get. Its important not to leave them living with mats because they are very painful.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Have you tried petting her with a wet rag? or place a fan nearby? That might help to cool her x
$hAzZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Ummmm, the question was: How do I KNOW if she IS hot? She is NOT panting now. I think she is fine. I only wondered what the signs are, IF she was.
She sits most of the day watching the pigeons out the window, and looks happy enough, no panting.

Anyway, thanks.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's been 99 and higher in my house. I have four long-haired cats and they handle it quite well. Better than I do. They mostly hang out on the cool kitchen tiles.

Here is some information I found online:

Quote:
If the temperature inside your home reaches 90 degrees, kitty will start panting. This is her first attempt to maintain her body temperature. She will also start to over-groom herself in an attempt to lower her body temperature. Once the saliva dries on her fur, she will begin to cool down.

She may dig a large hole in her litter pan and park herself inside. Cats are originally desert-dwelling creatures. They instinctively know that the sand will bring welcome relief.

Quote:
You can check for dehydration several ways: roll kitty’s bottom eyelid down. You should see moisture pool up in the lower lid. No moisture, kitty needs a vet!

Check kitty’s mouth, press your finger lightly against her gums (which should be pink and happy) Your print should leave an impression for about a second then the gums pink up again. If they stay pale, or appear streaked or white, get kitty to the vet now.

The final way to check for dehydration, is while kitty is at rest, gently pick up the scruff of her neck, without lifting her body. Pinch the scruff lightly, release. The skin should fold down within seconds. If it remains in a pinched position- get your cat to the vet!

Summer is a time of relaxation and fun. But as the warmer months approach, be on the alert for any heat- related problems. If you find that your kitty is in the middle of heat stroke, place an ice cube on kitty’s head while she is being transported to the vet. If you put her inside a carrier for transport, be sure and place her on a cold, wet towel to help lower her body temperature.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weniki
Ummmm, the question was: How do I KNOW if she IS hot? She is NOT panting now. I think she is fine. I only wondered what the signs are, IF she was.
She sits most of the day watching the pigeons out the window, and looks happy enough, no panting.

Anyway, thanks.
Oops, misread a little

Well, at least if she was to overheat a little you have a little advise x
$hAzZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Mine tend to lie on the kitchen lilo when they're a little too warm, or I turn the living room fan on and they sit in front of that.

The only real tell-tale sign of my cats being too hot is they shed more
Paine Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for all this info guys! I'll keep watching her. The weather gets very hot and humid in Italy, but so far so good! She does lie stretched out on the wood floor a lot, but she seems happy and has lots of energy for a little playtime....doesn't even start panting after chasing the squeaky bird on the string!

Cheers!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Check kitty’s mouth, press your finger lightly against her gums (which should be pink and happy) Your print should leave an impression for about a second then the gums pink up again. If they stay pale, or appear streaked or white, get kitty to the vet now.
You first mate!
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Something to keep in mind is that a cat's normal body temp can vary between 100-103F so they often feel more comfortable in the heat than we do. If the temp gets over 103F (39.4C) tho, and cat's panting, a dip in some water, or wet their tummy, head and ears will make them feel more comfortable.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement