My Kitten No Tail? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default My Kitten No Tail?

Hi All,

I have posted this on my thread in Introduce Yourself but not got a reply.

My cat Missy had a kitten yesterday morning, just the one, but it was born without a tail. Im assuming unless she bit it off. She is only 10 months old and has never had a litter before.

The kitten seems totally fine and still alive and sturdy this morning. Just wondered if it is going to be ok without a tail?

Thanks all

"Cats can work out mathematically the place to sit that will cause the most inconvenience!"
GoldenLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 05:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Well, there are certain varieties of cats that are born without tails. Is there none at all, or a stumpy tail? Is there a wound that you can see? Does the kitten have anal tone? When you pinch its toes does it pull its legs back?

Kobie, Mocha, Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Kobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobster View Post
Well, there are certain varieties of cats that are born without tails. Is there none at all, or a stumpy tail? Is there a wound that you can see? Does the kitten have anal tone? When you pinch its toes does it pull its legs back?
It seems to be like a little stump. When I found the kitten yesterday morning the stump looked a bit bloody which is what led me to think that she may have taken it off by mistake when removing the umbilical cord.

It has feeling in all it's legs and seems perfectly healthy other than its lack of tail. Just seems a little weird thats all as both it's parents have lovely long tails. But they are just mixed breed so I assume they could have the gene??

"Cats can work out mathematically the place to sit that will cause the most inconvenience!"
Old 08-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

to my understanding a cat can only have a kitten without a tail "naturally" if one of 3 cases is true.

1. the mom is a natural short tail
2. the father is a natural short tail
3. both of them are natural short tails.

I also breed cats that have short tails and they never are bloody.

so, Without looking at your kitten I would have to guess something happened to the tail and you may want to consider taken the kitten to the vet to see if it needs a stitch in it.

If something did not happen to the tail and it just happened to end up short tail with 2 long tail parents, then it would have to be a genetic mutation / deformity.

Last edited by Imperialfelines; 08-19-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Imperialfelines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Are you able to post a photo of the kitten so we would have a better idea of what you're talking about?

Mama to Donovan and Ruin
tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Hi I will try and get a photo asap although Missy isnt too happy at her baby being "papped"!

The kitten seems perfectly fine again and the tail doesnt look bloody any more. Im assuming it was a genetic mutation caused by the fact that the mother and father are related?

Thats my thoughts anyway

Old 08-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree with imperial felines, if the tail was bloody it was momcat that chewed it off, and kitty was not born tailless, as I used to breed Manx. She likely got it mixed up with an umbilical cord. The same thing happened to my Devon boy, his momcat who was an experienced queen, chewed off half his tail so he has a long stub.
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
I agree with imperial felines, if the tail was bloody it was momcat that chewed it off, and kitty was not born tailless, as I used to breed Manx. She likely got it mixed up with an umbilical cord. The same thing happened to my Devon boy, his momcat who was an experienced queen, chewed off half his tail so he has a long stub.
That is pretty much what I thought. Being in-experienced I guess she must have just got it a bit wrong. Kitten still goin strong and she is very caring. So i hope it will be ok? do u reckon it will?

Thanks x

Old 08-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

If I were you, I'd take the kitten into the vet. Kittens are delicate, and if it gets an infection from the wound, it could go quickly.
paperbacknovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I'd take the kitten to the vet too. The tail isn't just attached to the rear end... it's a structure that begins at the spine. The vet probably needs to make sure no unseen damage was done. I found a kitten last year in the middle of a country road. He'd apparently been caught in the enginer and his tailed was ripped off. It required surgery to repair the end. He's now the handsome fella grinning in my avatar pic.
Good luck with that baby!
kitty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement