BEST Time to Neuter a "MAINE COON" - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Question BEST Time to Neuter a "MAINE COON"

Hi there!

I've got a 6 month old Maine coon thats probably quite near to the time where he'll have to be Neutered. But I have a question... Whens best to neuter a show quality Male Maine Coon so as to get the best size and development? I was told that the un-neutered males tend to have larger heads etc.

What would I notice in the difference between the two options?

Cheers

Phil
CattiPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

I was showing George (Maine Coon) as a kitten and had planned to try and Grand him in the championship class before moving him over to alter/premier. Right when he hit 8 months (the age when they move from kitten to adult class) the 'testosterone poisoning' kicked in and he developed a major attitude problem. I had him fixed right away.

What does his breeder say? Ask how his daddy acts as a whole male and how the development in that line runs. This can be passed down.

Don't wait until the hormones give you trouble, is the best advice I can give.
GeorgesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

PS I neutered his brother at 3-4 months and Wimmys head was *easily* big as Georges.
GeorgesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Default Maine Coons...slow maturing

According to what I've read and heard from Maine Coon breeders, they are a slow-maturing breed and don't really reach their full development until 2 years old. If he will not be used for breeding, I would get him neutered now. If you show him in premiership classes, the judges allow for males that don't have "stud jowls", or young males (8 mos.+) in championship class. Some male kittens show beautifully as kittens, and then once they reach around a year old, you can't show them any more, as the scent of other males upsets them greatly and they can become aggressive to judges and owners. A lot of whole males will spray their cage curtains, so that pungent "tomcat" odor is often wafting around in the show hall. Some cats just can't take that.

Last edited by catloverami; 09-01-2010 at 09:21 AM.
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Neutering actually causes cats (and humans, back in the days of eunuchs and castrati!) to grow taller. Other than that, there is no difference.

Personally, it wouldn't matter to me either way--the goal should be to keep the cat from being frustrated and to prevent his developing behaviors that may cause serious problems b/t him and you. So I would do it NOW, ASAP.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Well I've had him done, poor thing! Hes looking a bit sorry for himself now though.
CattiPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement