Need help to calculate how much kitty litter I will need - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 05:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Need help to calculate how much kitty litter I will need

I work for the government and am posted in Africa. I get one shipment of groceries to my location - next month - for things that are hard to find here or are expensive.

Kitty litter and canned cat food fall into the expensive and hard to find categories, respectively (cheap cat food is easy to find, but not better stuff).

Sooo... I'm going to attempt to order enough kitty litter for 2 cats for 2 years. Except I don't currently own any cats and have no idea how much kitty litter would be appropriate.

If you are able and wouldn't mind, I would love to know how much kitty litter you use in one month (especially if you have 2 cats sharing - as I will have). This will help me immensely in calculating a good amount to order!

Thanks in advance
DevonsOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Happy to help...and it will be interesting to see if our members all fall in a relatively narrow band or if we're all over the map! I go through about 11kg to 14kg per month (25lbs to 30lbs). I have two cats. I use four litter boxes for the two cats, which is on the high side, so my usage might be higher than others. On the other hand, I use a very high-quality clumping litter and rarely do a full litter change-out, so that might make my usage lower. It will be interesting to see!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I don't do scoopable. I use over 200 lbs a month. One of my cats is very big. Cat size matters.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

We have two cats and we use Arm and Hammer Multi cat. We go through 80 lbs a month (their poop really stinks so we do a complete litter change every two weeks). I think as they get older we will probably use less...
Old 09-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Wow, I go through 28 lbs every 2 weeks for one box with two cats. I use Tidy Cat Scoopable and scopre 3 times a day. So in 2 years I would use 1,456 lbs of cat litter for regular use. When I do a dump-and-scrub I would use one additional 14 lb container for that week. That happens every 2 months or so? I have 2 medium sized cats. I know some people do a total dump-and-scrub more often, and I used to, but I found it just wasn't necessary. If I keep the box clean, it doesn't get stinky.
Smirkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Hmmm...I have 2 cats with 2 litterboxes and I use about 40 lbs every other month so roughly about 20 lbs per month. I use Fresh Step Clumping Litter or the Arm & Hammer Multi-Cat.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement