Where Do Baby Teeth Go? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
NRD
Senior Cat

Default Where Do Baby Teeth Go?

Today Little Hersh is six months old, more or less (a rescue). I have noticed the past couple of weeks his adult teeth seem to have come in. But I see no sign of his baby teeth. Just curious, where did they likely go? Did they fall out and he swallowed them? Might they be scattered about the house? I haven't seen any. Nor did I notice any overlapping of the old and new teeth, as the new ones emerged. I can do research, but first I'm curious whether any of you have found little kitty teeth in your living quarters. Is there a Cat Tooth Fairy?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I've got a few. A horse tooth and teeth from three cats that I've saved in my jewelry box. I think most kitten teeth are sucked up in the vac, swept up in dust-bunnies or swallowed accidentally.

Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I found one in my bed!
Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

When the adult teeth come in, the kitten teeth fall out quite easily as they are pushed out of the way (MOST of the time). I would guess that the majority get swallowed, especially if the cat eats crunchy food.

& the rest of the furry family: Elfie, Rusty & Rico
Always in my heart: Lil'Fella & Kovie

Certified Veterinary Emergency Technician
RachandNito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Ducman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

The key thing here is to make sure you wear a thick pair of socks around the house for the next three to four weeks. While your kitten may have very well swallowed its own baby teeth, it is important to not rule out the possibility that each little tooth may be nestled into your house's carpet fibers, patiently waiting to jab into you and your family's feet.

Socks or shoes is nearly the only solution I could come up with until I either vaccuumed each room in the house (and apparently bed) or scuffled about on all four with a lint roller.
SlightChanceOfFurries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I've found a few....one of them embedded in my hand when Onyx was gnawing on it. I think most get swallowed.

I seriously doubt that you would even feel it if you stepped on it, it might feel like a little pebble, but it's not going to do any damage.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
NRD
Senior Cat

Thanks for the great answers. That's why I didn't Google it first, this is way more fun.

Heidi n Q, that's quite a collection you have, though not enough for a necklace! Maybe a horsetooth pendant, a real conversation starter...or stopper, depending....

Ducman69, a real lol on the picture, pillow and all. Inspired.

He eats mainly wet food and is a voracious eater, so I am guessing his kitty teeth are gone, in one end and out the other, though I've never seen evidence of the latter.

SlightChanceOfFurries (great name, BTW), not the sock type indoors, until dead of winter. Besides, between bits of tracked kitty litter and various cat toys, I am used to stepping on various things on the floor or carpet by now.

Ah well, no Kitty Tooth Fairy for him, but at least I am spared having to break the news to him someday that the KTF doesn't exist. So long as the treats fairy is around, I don't think he'll care....
Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I had fosters while their adult teeth were coming in and one of them had double upper fangs for a few weeks until the adult teeth finally pushed the baby teeth out. I wish I had taken a photo!
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Its weird that a day after you posted this question I found a tooth in my kittens' kibble bowl!!! It looks like the molars that Heidi posted.
swimkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement