Neighbor's cat coming in the cat door - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Neighbor's cat coming in the cat door

Over the last month or so, my neighbor's cat Theo decided he'd rather live with me. He has gradually/tentatively explored my place via the cat door.

My four male cats like him. They are used to socializing with him outdoors since he was a kitten and have accepted that he now comes in occasionally.

I mentioned to my neighbor that his cat slept in a corner of my living room the other night when it was 25 degrees. He said, "I wish he would come in, but he hates the dog."

My neighbor got a puppy July 1. Theo has never been back inside since.

He does feed leave food for the cat -twice a day outside - but has no other contact with him.

The situation is OK for now. I don't feed him but I did make a bed for him in a corner and he is there every night. He enjoys being talked to and petted.

Kind of strange, though, don't you think?
Greenport ferals is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I think it's kind of funny, and your sweet to allow him to come in as he pleases. At least the neighbor didn't shut him in the house and make him try to get along with the dog on different terms.
I just hope your neighbor keeps on setting out food for him, other wise I'd start to worry.
Meker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
My four male cats like him.
I do believe you have five male cats now.

Your neighbor is heartless.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

well, sounds to me like this kitty went out and found himself a new home (well, somewhere down the road... doesnt it?? lol)
Claiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I do believe you have five male cats now.
Ha ha. It does look like that, but financially I can't take on any more cats. It costs nothing to give him shelter, though.

My neighbor took such good care of Theo until he got the dog. But Theo actually is better off than the pup, which spends 8-11 hours a day home alone in a cage.

People with no time for pets shouldn't own them.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenport ferals View Post
I know how you feel. My mother in law is like that only with money. She has two dogs and three cats and moochs money off of people to feed them. I went in once and she hadnt had money for litter, the whole place smelled like urine.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Maybe...

you guys can reach an agreement where the neighbor gives you the food or something along those lines. But, at some point, this may become a problem if the food is not always there.

I wish you luck. Yes, you are sweet for accepting the cat as an honorary family member, but it's best to get some form of concensus of what is to happen down the line upfront so there won't be any hurt feelings or misundertandings later on...just my two cents

If you can't afford to take on another cat, this will impact kitties future if the neighbor decides to stop feeding it or becomes comfortable with the fact that you are now taking care of the cat and by actions it is now your cat or something along those lines.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweamgoil View Post
you guys can reach an agreement where the neighbor gives you the food or something along those lines. But, at some point, this may become a problem if the food is not always there.

I wish you luck. Yes, you are sweet for accepting the cat as an honorary family member, but it's best to get some form of concensus of what is to happen down the line upfront so there won't be any hurt feelings or misundertandings later on...just my two cents

If you can't afford to take on another cat, this will impact kitties future if the neighbor decides to stop feeding it or becomes comfortable with the fact that you are now taking care of the cat and by actions it is now your cat or something along those lines.
Very good points. No good deed goes unpunished, as they say.

Ideally, I want my neighbor to take responsibility for Theo, help socialize him with the dog and get him comfortable living and sleeping in his own house again.
This winter will be telling, as it's too cold in upstate NY for my neighbor to expect his cat to stay out. Since the dog is in a cage all day, why not let Theo in?
I think I will tactfully ask my neighbor something along those lines.

But now I do see that when I allow Theo to come in, it only prolongs my neighbor's avoidance of socializing the dog and cat, which is at the crux of the problem.
In any case - my cats need the cat door, and it would be tough to keep just Theo out.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Sometimes Cats pick their owners - sounds like he likes you and your cats!
Jan Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenport ferals View Post
Ha ha. It does look like that, but financially I can't take on any more cats. It costs nothing to give him shelter, though.

My neighbor took such good care of Theo until he got the dog. But Theo actually is better off than the pup, which spends 8-11 hours a day home alone in a cage.

i hate when people do that. I understand containing for training purposes, but, block off a room or 2 with baby gates or something. in a crate may as well be in a shelter. Animals should never be caged unless theyre on their way to the vet or back home, if you ask me. If they like the cage, at least leave the door open for the option of leaving it.

I know people who used to own 2 dogs. but owning is as far as it went. the cats were scared of them, so besides outside for 30 seconds to pee, they lived alone in the basement in side by side cages. Not a life for a big dog that wants to run.
Claiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement