Cat that pees on blankets, dirty and clean clothes, dog crate pads etc - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Cat that pees on blankets, dirty and clean clothes, dog crate pads etc

I have never had this issue with all the cats I have owned. Maybe if I have let the cat box go until it is just too gross, they might go somewhere else. But the box is clean and this cat (Binx) keeps peeing everywhere but the litter box. We now have to keep the dog crate doors closed as well as all the bedrooms and laundry room. Places I have found pee are: dog crate pad, hamper with dirty clothes, basket of clean clothes, blanket on the floor... and I think that is it. Thank God have not found it on beds. But I am now paranoid there are places I have no found and that is just gross! I am really losing patience with it. At first I thought it was just a fluke but no, its all the time. The cat box is clean! Maybe the first time it was too dirty.... but now he thinks he can go wherever he wants? I don't get it and I don't know how to break it because I have not caught him doing it.... other than the 1st time.

Anyone else ever have this problem? Do I need more cat boxes? I have 1 huge (seriously enormous) cat box for my 5 cats. I plan to get a 2nd... but honestly it's cleaned all the time so I don't really see that helping.

Save a Life, Adopt a Pet.
CuteNCraze86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Oh my. Hopefully more-equipped people will hop on to answer your question, but my automatic reaction is-- yes, you do need another box. It's not just an issue with a box being clean enough. It's also a territorial issue, or a location issue, or an availability issue, or an issue with the type of box and type of litter used in that box. Some cats will only pee in one box and poop in the other.

The rule is one box for each cat, plus one extra. I can't do that myself- I have 3 cats and they prefer to have an enormous box with very high walls, so I have two huge rubbermaid plastic storage containers (like, the biggest size that you see at walmart), and we cut a hole in the side of them for the cats to enter and exit (though sometimes they just dive in through the top). But at least the 3 cats-to-2 huge boxes is a better ratio than 5-to-1. I'd encourage you to add 2 additional boxes, at *least*.

Have you brought him into the vet to check for UTI?
paperbacknovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I second the suggestion of going to the vet. In the few months that I've had my kitten she has NEVER gone anywhere other than her box until a couple of weeks ago when she went twice on the same surface within 5 days. I took her in hours after the second accident and sure enough, she has a UTI.

Also make sure that you COMPLETELY remove the urine odor from wherever your cat has gone- if they pick up even a hint of it they may think that it's okay to continue urinating in that spot.

Hopefully it is an internal problem that can be easily fixed with meds versus a behavioral problem which may be more difficult to get to the bottom of.

I hope your little one is okay!
"Is that vodka?" Margarita asked weakly. The cat jumped from it's chair in indignation. "Excuse me, your majesty", he squeaked, "do you think I would give vodka to a lady? That is pure spirit!". -The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
Layla0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Yeah, I'd take him to the vet to check for a UTI. My Rochelle always used the litter box, and then one day she didn't...and she kept urinating in and out of the litter box. I took her to the vet and (even though they didn't catch it the first time...grrr...) she was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection (UTI) with crystals in her urine. After two weeks on antibiotics, she's a happy normal cat again, and using the litter box like a good girl.

Bri: Mommy to Samantha, Alice, Jules, and Edgar the Tarantula
Time Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yup, I've had that problem most of my life with one of my cats. He was feral as a kitten, that might have something to do with it, or maybe just that he's male. We tried everything and nothing really worked. The best results we had (and our last resort) was putting rags down for him to pee on by the litter box, but even that wasn't a 100% success.

We spoke to various vets about it over the years, everything they've suggested we've tried - cleaning the area throughly, sprays, two litter boxes, timeouts, stuff like that. Most recently when we mentioned it to a vet he treated it like it was no big deal, freely admiting "oh yeah, my house was terrible growing up! Sometimes there just isn't much you can do." ... I think that's about where my cat sits, since he's already 15 and been this way his whole life.

Hopefully, you'll be able to correct the problem with your cat.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Well we plan to get another big litter box and restrict access to most bedrooms and laundry room as well as keeping the dogs kennels closed when they are not in them. HE has not peed on any rugs, that we know of anyways.... just the dogs crates, clothes and one blanket that was on the floor in the corner.

Someone suggested one of those pheromone collars. Seems a little gimmicky to me but honestly I will probably give all suggestions a shot.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I have to add another vote to those suggesting a vet visit to rule out UTI before assuming it's a behavioral issue...assuming you haven't already done so.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I don't know the history of this cat, but if he's been using the box for some significant period of time and nothing has changed in the household (new litter, new person moved in etc.) then you're more than likely looking at a urinary tract issue (infection or crystals). Before going through all kinds of gyrations with box changes, pheromone collars etc...a medical issue needs to be ruled out. Sounds like he needs a vet visit....

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I wrote this some time ago as a response for someone else but the information remains relevant and lately I seem to be getting a LOT of use out of it. First get a UTI exam/sample for diagnosis and proceed from there with pursuing any behavioral or environment issues, but the UTI *must* be ruled out FIRST. If your cat(s) is/are male, just replace she/her with he/him.
I apologize if this sounds blunt, it isn’t meant to be, it is simply the most expedient way for me to share all of the information you need to be informed.
=^..^=

Inapropriate Urination / UTI
The NUMBER ONE REASON CATS PEE INAPPROPRIATELY = Urinary Tract Inflamation. (UTI)
Diagnosis is with a vet checking a urine sample. There is no other way to diagnose this medical problem. Depending on diagnosis (infection, inflamation, crystals) treatment can include antibiotics, anti-inflamatories and/or a diet change to help get more moisture into their elimination systems.

Cats are naturally neat and tidy animals.
They *know* what a litterbox is for.
If a cat is not using their litterbox they are trying to *tell you something* and you need to listen.

AFTER a veterinary visit and UTI has been eliminated as a problem, then you can move on to examining other areas:
Is the cat spayed/neutered? ...unaltered cats can develop UTIs due to hormonal changes from instinctual mating behavior...
Has the home been stressful for the cat? ...cats can develop UTIs due to stress...
Does the cat like the litterbox? ...open-tray, hooded, deep enough litter, large enough box...
Does the cat like the location of the litterbox? ...is it in a quiet area, low traffic and no sudden noises...
Does the cat like the litter used? ...some cats prefer different litters...
Does the cat approve of how clean the litterbox is kept for it? ...many cats will refuse to use 'dirty', and especially *smelly* litterboxes...
Are the litterboxes arranged in such a manner as they cannot become a trap? ... some multi cat households can have a problem with another cat either guarding the LBs or waiting to ambush a cat exiting a LB in an effort to play

Cats WANT to use a litterbox to hide their waste. If they are not, it is because there is some sort of problem and avoiding the litterbox is The Only Way for the cat to tell you It Is Having A Problem.
If you and your family are annoyed at this behavior, imagine how *frustrating* and *painful* this is for your cat, who is trying to tell you in every way she has available to her: She Is Having A Problem. UTI's are painful and the kitty tries to find places to pee where maybe it *won't* be painful, like soft piles of clothes, bedding and rugs. When the pain *still* isn't going away by peeing on soft things, they start to pee on 'smooth' things like floors, tables, sinks, tubs, stoves and countertops. IMO, when a cat reaches the point of peeing *right in front of you while looking you in the eyes* ... please don't get upset, the kitty is simply trying to tell you she has something wrong with her.

After medical treatment, diet can play a large role in helping to keep UTI's at bay; more moisture, as in a wet food or RAW diet. Even a better quality dry food and not feeding "McKittyCrack" (which is what I call grocery-store available catfoods) can help the kitty stay healthy. There are plenty of topics in the Health/Nutrition Forums to help you find a good catfood and/or diet for your kitty during and after treatment.

Good luck, we really *want* you to be able to help your kitty. Please let us know how things go...the information you share could help other people in similar situations, too.
heidi =^..^=

Last edited by marie73; 12-03-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Heidi n Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thanks, we will do everything suggested. However how do I get a urine sample?

Also what HAS changed is a new dog. And now that I think about it they are probably happening at the same time... the start of the peeing and getting the dog. But the dog doesn't even annoy the cat. And we already have two dogs. If anything this is the one cat that tolerates the dogs. He poops in the box.... and always used to pee also. And when we block off access to the few spots he was peeing in... he just goes in the box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement