cat trees? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default cat trees?

What's everyone's experience with cat trees? Does your cat like it and actually use it? Are they sturdy and large enough for a larger cat? With cat trees being kind of expensive and my cat never using her cat beds, I'm worried if I get one it'll goto waste.
fatandgreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

In my vast experience (not at all), I find that Murphy loves his cat tree and he won't touch cat beds, so I'm not sure there's a correlation there. He naps up on the top level like he's on top of the world. And he's a big 16-pound boy, and while there's a little shaking when he climbs up, it doesn't seem to faze him at all.

Several of us have bought our trees on www.Armarkat.com. They have a great selection, decent prices, and free shipping, although you have to put it together when it arrives.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Default I got a monster

http://www.mollyandfriends.com/index.html

From Molly and Friends. It is solid, untreated pine with no chemicals in the carpeting either.
That said, it weighs at least 250 pounds and is 6'4. It's called "Treehouse" under the extra large trees.
It cost about $325 but will last for a lifetime.
Tiikiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Default Build it yourself and save

Search Youtube.
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiikiri View Post
http://www.mollyandfriends.com/index.html

From Molly and Friends. It is solid, untreated pine with no chemicals in the carpeting either.
That said, it weighs at least 250 pounds and is 6'4. It's called "Treehouse" under the extra large trees.
It cost about $325 but will last for a lifetime.
Wow. That's actually pretty pricey.

My favorite place to get cat trees is www.kittymansions.com . Their prices are great and the quality is amazing. I have this tree

(mind you, I got it for free) the price is right and my kitties love it. It stands at about 5'1" and is solid. My 16lb monster can sit in the basket all day! Right now this particular tree goes for $154.

If your gonna spend 300+ dollars on a kitty tree you can get this
or this ... No offense tiikiri!

I think they are well worth the money.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I got a small (3 ft high) combination scratching post with perch on top. I keep it in the garage. Midnight, the wild cat, uses it to scratch, but he also likes to lay on top of it in the Summer when a nice breeze is blowing through the garage. I think he likes to be up off ground level too.

Goldtanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'm guessing it probably depends on the cat. I started with a very small post/nest when I got Apollo as a kitten, and he used that enough that I felt the need to upgrade when he got bigger and we got a second cat.

I ended up splurging on a giant (7ft.) Armarkat tree and my cats absolutely loved it and use it frequently:

However I have fairly hyperactive cats that enjoy jumping on things and flying about the room, climbing all over everything, so it was kind of a guaranteed success with them. I also got a fantastic deal. It was on sale for only $119 or something like that.

As for sturdiness, any tree from a good company should be totally fine. My cats take flying leaps at their big tree and it never topples over. The only issue is if you have a tree too small for the cat. Their little nest is small enough that Apollo sometimes knocks of over when he leaps onto it when they're playing, but that thing is only like 2 feet tall.
saitenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

It loses something in the photograph. The tree is made from untreated pine, no toxic glues, no chemicals in the carpeting. Made in the USA and constructed to be as sturdy as human furniture. I can climb it, and my 93 pound doberman can't knock it over.

He loves it, and runs straight to the top. I could see him eating the decoration off of the pretty one you posted.
As for the price... well, after spending $1200 for a cat, what's a few hundred more?
Tiikiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Saitenyo, is this the tree you have? PETCO Faux Fleece Deluxe Cat Tree at PETCO

I'd like to get this for our kitties, but I'm worried about the faux fur. Would they fall off since there's no grip to the faux fur like there would be with fleece?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiikiri View Post
He loves it, and runs straight to the top. I could see him eating the decoration off of the pretty one you posted.
As for the price... well, after spending $1200 for a cat, what's a few hundred more?
That's all that matters then !!! I can see your concern about the leafs, I just like it because of all the levels and houses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4kitties View Post
... but I'm worried about the faux fur. Would they fall off since there's no grip to the faux fur like there would be with fleece?
Our Cat tree is covered in faux fur (not carpet) and the kitties love it! The climb all over it and we have never had they lose their grip. I makes for super soft sleeing spaces too.
Advertisement