Calico vs Tortie - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: For each of the three cats, vote if you would call them calicos or tortoiseshells.
CAT #1 **Don't Vote Here** 0 0%
Calico 5 20.00%
Tortie 0 0%
CAT #2 **Don't Vote Here** 0 0%
Calico 0 0%
Tortie 3 12.00%
CAT #3 **Don't Vote Here** 0 0%
Calico 13 52.00%
Tortie 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Calico vs Tortie

I'm a genetics/color buff. My main interest is horses, so cats are still fairly new to me, but I have a fairly good understanding of a lot of the color genetics.

I understand that the genes for either a black or orange base coat is on the X chromosome and they are co-dominant. So a female, who carries two X chromosomes, can carry black and orange, and since the trait is co-dominant, both are expressed. Thus, a black and orange cat. I also have a basic understanding of the white patterns.

But I'm somewhat confused on the general terminology of the phenotypes (physical appearance). What I call a calico, some others call a tortoiseshell.

What I consider a calico is based on the appearance of black and orange. If there are distinct completely black patches, distinct completely white patches, and white...it's a calico. A tortoiseshell has black and orange hairs mixed together for a mottled effect. There may be a few spots where it's all black or all orange, but most of the cat is mottled. I think a tortoiseshell can have white pattern and still be considered a tortie, but I've heard others say that as soon as there are white markings, it's a calico, no matter what the black and orange looks like. And then, of course, there are dilute (blue/cream) torties and calicos. There are "torbies," and colorpoint (siamese) torties.

These, in my opinion, are calico cats. They have distinct black and white patches with white:

These are what I call torties/torbies. The black and orange (or blue/cream or grey tabby/orange) is all mixed up. Some of them have white, some don't.

So here's a little poll to see what you all think... what would you call each of these cats?

Cat #1

Cat #2

Cat #3

EDIT....oh shoot, you can't choose multiple answers for the poll...I'm mainly interested in cat #3 since the other two are fairly obvious. But feel free to post your answers

Last edited by marie73; 06-10-2011 at 11:48 PM.
prairienights is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

im not sure how it works in america but all of the above are 'tortoiseshell' in england. Just different types. Also the word calico isnt a majorly used branding (just a linguistics difference nothing more) But yeah, they are all the same 'tortie' just different types.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

I'd call #3 a calico because of the white chest and paws.
I'd also call her adorable!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
I'd also call her adorable!
I'll go a step further and say they're all adorable. #1 and #3 I'd call calico, #2 I'd call tortie. I have a real knack for getting things wrong though, so you may not want to listen to me.
beamjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Well it depends on the breed's color standard. Some standards for torties allow intermingling of colors and some don't, has to be definite patches; some allow minimal tabby striping in the patches. Most calico standards want to see chest, belly and all four feet white, and even some a white muzzle. Usually it's a calico if it has approximately one third of its coat white predominantly the underparts, otherwise its a tortie and white. Sometimes difficult to say when a cat is a tortie & white and when it's a calico.

Of the first four cats pictured: calico, dilute calico, tortoiseshell, silver patched tabby and white, and tortoishell and white.

Of your numbered photos: #1 calico, #2 tortoiseshell, #3 tortoiseshell and white (not enough white in belly to be a calico).
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

From what I understand Torbie is short for Tortoiseshell Tabby, it a Tabby with Tortoiseshell colors on top
cooncatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Torbie, Patched Tabby, Tortoiseshell Tabby all mean the same color pattern. The show standards refer to them as Patched Tabby for the classic (bull's eye) and Patched Mackeral Tabby or McTabby (striped pattern).
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

i think my cat is a mix of torti and calico.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
i think my cat is a mix of torti and calico.
I think since she has remnants of tabby stripes she'd be a Torbie not a Tortie which is just short for Tortoiseshell.
No matter she's a beauty.
Torbies and Torties
cooncatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Hmm. I can't multi vote here for some reason. :/ OH well. Well I guess the second photo is a tortie.
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement