Shaving long haired cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Shaving long haired cats?

I had a groomer mention to me that I should shave Riot because hes got long hair. She claims lots of people do and I actually know a couple who do. But is this okay to do? I thought their coats acted as insulation from heat and cold.

Opinions?

Last edited by marie73; 06-14-2011 at 10:25 PM. Reason: fixed typo
squeekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I know others will chime in, but here are my 2 cents. Last year, Azalia was having respiratory problems, mostly due to her weight, but I found this out later on. Long story short, I was contemplating getting her a lion's cut since she is a DMH. She tolerated the bath and blow dry, but not the shears. She went ballistic and the groomer had to call me to come and get her. I was then out $50 for her to have a bath *eye roll*. She's meticulously clean, by the way so that wasn't an issue in the first place. So, no more shaving for us.

I have read that it's not good to shave them for the reason you mentioned and also their skin is also more exposed if they like to sit out in the sun, etc. I also would find out how they do the shaving; lots of places sedate them and that is always risky. IMO unless there is a good reason, it's probably not worth stressing your cat out.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

As a groomer, some clients opt for the 'lion cut' (a shavedown) and some just do regular bath & brushes. Unless he's outside for extended periods of time, it is personal preference (if he is outdoors a lot I probably wouldn't shave him so his skin isn't exposed to the elements). Long-haired cats can mat easily if not regularly combed.

There are 3 options to keep them from becoming matted, since we want to prevent it as opposed to having to deal with matting after the fact:
1) If they can be maintained at home, great! Some owners use brushes, I like metal combs since they get all the way down to the skin to make sure there are no mats or tangles forming.
2) Regular bath/blow drys (every 4-6 weeks) at a groomer can eliminate the need to do any maintenance at home while keeping their hair in top condition.
3) Regular baths can be a bit pricey for some owners, so they opt instead to shave the cat. These lion cuts last about 2-3 months depending on how fast the hair grows back.

Here are pictures of a cat I've done.
#1: Before, very greasy kitty
#2: After a bath & blow dry, so soft and silky!
#3: After his lion cut
Attached Thumbnails
Shaving long haired cats?-img_3430.jpg   Shaving long haired cats?-img_3432.jpg   Shaving long haired cats?-img_3434.jpg  
NJgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

I agree with dweamgoil, if you're cat is long haired it's fine to leave them in their natural state, unless there is a particular reason. For example, I have a friend who has the underside/bum of her Persian shaved because he constantly gets poop all over himself if left to his own devices. My long haired cat has had a poop incident only once in her life and never any mats, so I would never shave her.
applesparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

He doesnt mat as I brush him. He does oddly get poop stuck. Hes not outside a lot and the groomer doesnt sedate. I am just worried about the house as we rarely have our air on and it gets kinda hot in here. I dont want him to get to hot
Old 06-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekers View Post
He does oddly get poop stuck. Hes not outside a lot and the groomer doesnt sedate. I am just worried about the house as we rarely have our air on and it gets kinda hot in here. I dont want him to get to hot
For the poopie issue, you can do the 'potty patch'. You can even do this yourself if you are really careful and your cat holds still or have the vet do it.

As far as temperature, cats come from desert-dwelling descendants. They can tolerate heat better than we can. He should be ok, but just keep an eye on him on really hot days for signs of distress such as panting, lethargy, excessive drooling, etc. I don't have an A/C and we keep the tower fan on and at night open the windows to let the cool air in. My cats are just fine. They do move less in the heat though, but that is about it.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

He does pant on hot days which is why I was concerned. I could ask the groomer to cut his bum hair as my vet would charge me an exam fee which is $60 then probably an outragious price to trim the area as well as sell me vaccines.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I live in Nth Qld Australia, where it is discusting hot and humid in summer, the candles droop in houses, and water shoots out of the hose so hot, cause the pipes are hot. Our neighbours have a persian cat and get him shaved when the hottest months are here. Leo seems pretty happy after it's done, he seems to have a bit more go in him, and even though he looks a bit strange at first, i think this is the best idea for him so he dosnt overheat.
Natalie Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My groomer would thin out Samantha's belly fur when the dematted and gave her a bath, there would be a big pile of fur but you could hardly tell by looking at the cat except for her butt.
cooncatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I used to have a groomer come to my house and trim up my Princess (may she rest in peace). She was a long-haired beautiful girl and she tolerated being brushed, but after each of my shoulder surgeries, I was unable to do a very good job with one arm while recuperating - so I found this guy who makes house calls (well, we would go out to his mobile grooming van). I would have him comb her out, shave the mats but not bathe her (she would have FREAKED OUT). One time, i did have him give her the poodle cut and she looked ridiculous. My sister has her persian groomed and he gets the poodle cut. He looks adorable... Just like the Dorothy Hamel cut, I guess it's not a good look for every cat - OMG I think I just showed my age!
princessbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement