How long do your cat tree's last? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

How long do your cat tree's last?

I bought Rocky Raccoon a tree in January of this year, and i just bought him a new one yesterday, because he destroyed the former. He seriously ripped up the other one so much that the carpet was coming off >.< How long do your cat tree's last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:39 PM
NRD
Tom Cat

Three Armarkat trees, two are used every day by at least three of my four cats, all three trees almost 1-1/2 years old. Still look as good as new, and the sisal posts, even though used frequently, show very little wear.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Cat Addict

You don't mean scratching posts, do you? I can see those not lasting as long.

My cats don't use their cat condo, so it's been 15 years and looking brand new. My aunt's cat condo is also roughly the same age (my father made them) and her cats (two previous and the one current cat) use them, but they haven't needed to be replaced, either.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRD View Post
Three Armarkat trees, two are used every day by at least three of my four cats, all three trees almost 1-1/2 years old. Still look as good as new, and the sisal posts, even though used frequently, show very little wear.
Wow, that's awesome Honestly, i can't complain much,because i get his tree which can fit a 9 ft ceiling and i purchase it for 40 dollars plus tax at Walmart. It's a three tier tree, all carpeted, and he absolutely LOVES it I'm probably spending much less than the majority of people spend on their cat tree's and for that, i'm thankful. Your cat tree's sound incredible though and i've read about Amarkat tree's many times, and the tree's always seem like they would be tons of fun for any cat.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Cat Addict

I have three cat trees all of varying size and brand.

The smallest is a off-name brand 1' sisal tree, that I got at our nearby bargain outlet store. It's been used and abused by all the cats, and is still going strong almost a year later.

The medium tree, is about two and a half feet tall, and I think I bought it at Petco. It's covered in carpet, and after about 10 months of use, it's definitely on it's way to being thrown out as soon as I can find/afford a replacement for it. The carpet is pretty well shredded, and I find myself having to trim the tree with scissors once a week because of all the hanging carpet threads. The height is nice though...the girls like to bird watch from it.

The biggest tree, is a 6' Armarkat, that the girls got for Christmas. It's covered in sisal, and has held up wonderful so far. The tree is sturdy, and the only problem I have with it, is that it's white...with three dark colored cats, the hair really shows up!

I think if I ever buy anymore cat trees, they will all be sisal. It lasts much longer, looks great, and my girls seem to like it better.

You can see all three in this picture.

Bri: Mommy to Samantha, Alice, Jules, and Edgar the Tarantula
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Cat Addict

We have a 7ft. tree and still works beautifully at two years old.

Becky, the proud momma of:
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Bandit View Post
I have three cat trees all of varying size and brand.

The smallest is a off-name brand 1' sisal tree, that I got at our nearby bargain outlet store. It's been used and abused by all the cats, and is still going strong almost a year later.

The medium tree, is about two and a half feet tall, and I think I bought it at Petco. It's covered in carpet, and after about 10 months of use, it's definitely on it's way to being thrown out as soon as I can find/afford a replacement for it. The carpet is pretty well shredded, and I find myself having to trim the tree with scissors once a week because of all the hanging carpet threads. The height is nice though...the girls like to bird watch from it.

The biggest tree, is a 6' Armarkat, that the girls got for Christmas. It's covered in sisal, and has held up wonderful so far. The tree is sturdy, and the only problem I have with it, is that it's white...with three dark colored cats, the hair really shows up!

I think if I ever buy anymore cat trees, they will all be sisal. It lasts much longer, looks great, and my girls seem to like it better.

You can see all three in this picture.
I really like the sisal too, and i've read really good things about it. I just wonder if Rocky would like it because it seems like cat's sometimes can be rather particular about the material their cat tree is made out of, maybe not. I just really love the height of the tree because it goes all the up to the ceiling and Rocky LOVES to climb and he loves high heights. TimeBandit, i think it's great that you have so many tree's for your girl's I didn't even notice the picture, maybe it didn't load the first time, but your cat area looks amazing! Do your cat's like the butterfly cube, just out of curiosity? I really like your big tree though, nice!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatra-Butters View Post
We have a 7ft. tree and still works beautifully at two years old.
Do your cat's climb up to the top of the tree? Rocky climbs up to the very top tier near my ceiling and will often times fall asleep up there. lol he also loves to claw around the pole of the tree and go round and round in circles. lol
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Banned

With the sisal trees when the sisal get's shredded you can buy a bulk roll of sisal rope and redo it.
I have a 2 foot high pyramid scratching post I've had for over 10 years and I've replaced the sisal rope on it twice, it took a 100 foot roll.
For one of the big trees I buy a 500 foot roll.
I don't like the carpet as well but you can get carpet remnants from a carpet store.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooncatbob View Post
With the sisal trees when the sisal get's shredded you can buy a bulk roll of sisal rope and redo it.
I have a 2 foot high pyramid scratching post I've had for over 10 years and I've replaced the sisal rope on it twice, it took a 100 foot roll.
For one of the big trees I buy a 500 foot roll.
I don't like the carpet as well but you can get carpet remnants from a carpet store.
I think those are really good ideas I'm sure it's much cheaper to make the replacement of the parts yourself vs buying a whole new tree, although for me, i don't think you can beat 40 dollars. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page