Pride goeth... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Red face Pride goeth...

So, I was reading all these posts about people's cats who are picky with their food and all their issues with getting the proper nutrition and was feeling a little high and mighty about my kittens as they have never turned up their nose at anything I've given them so far. Well, that karma... she's not so nice a lady.
I noticed while cleaning the litter box that both my kitties are getting a bit dehydrated. They have a fountain but I'm not home during the day to monitor their usage of it. I got them some cans of the Merrick BG soft foods (they're on the hard food right now) and now, of course, neither of them will touch it. All five flavors snubbed. I went to the store down the street from me and picked up little sample cans the lady recommended to me tiki cat, something about turducken, bff, and another one... taste of the wild? or something like that. Sammy refuses all things wet and Alex ate about half of the little cans. i made sure to wash their dishes before trying a different food and I even put it on a plate instead of their dishes. Grrr... that's what I get for being proud of my non-picky eaters. Now, I'm getting a little nervous about Sammy as he's a semi long hair, won't eat anything wet, and it's 80 some degrees in my apartment all the time. Next step, adding water to their dry food. Not sure what to do if that doesn't work.
Lesson learned! Kitties are contrary little creatures and know when you are bragging about them being good.
Julz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

kitties can be stubborn at times! and yes, once you think they are the sweetest little things, they are doing something naughty lol.

not sure if you came across this link, but catinfo.org has a good article in helping you get your kitties to transition to wet food. i can't vouch for her methodology as my kittens were raised on both wet and dry, but the author is very reputable and i really respect what she says. Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

it's tough, what i have learned is to be more stubborn than the kitties. there was a time when cody would turn his nose up on some food and i would present him with another one being the worried mommy that i am thinking he wouldnt get enough nutrition. and i think after a few days he was getting the idea that if he refused one thing, i would put something else out there, and he could pick and choose what he felt like. wow, what a waste of cat food!

now, i've learned and i put the food out and what's out is whats for their meal. if they don't eat it, then they miss out until their next meal. seems like hunger overtook their pickiness as neither went longer than 1 meal skipped.

good for you in changing their diets to have some wet food. all dry is definitely not a good thing for kitties as you mentioned, it is too dehydrating. good luck on your transition, and i'm sure other people here can give you some good advice in helping you out
Old 07-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Well the worst part is, they WERE on a part wet, part dry diet. Then I switched from their kitten food to cat food as they're at that inbetween stage. Also, the store I got the BG from was only open until seven and I hadn't been getting out until seven so they went about a week with no soft food before I could get some place to get some more.
I understand about the giving them a different food immediately thing. I was thinking that too and, of course, as a concerned and relatively new mommy, I didn't want him to go hungry. The little cans I got for them weren't enough for a full meal so I gave them a little kibble, too, and they just picked around the wet stuff. I should have left it out but then Alex (my little piglet) ate both portions instead of leaving it for Sammy. *sigh* Ohhh kittens. Sammy did eat some of the tiki cat stuff off my finger but wouldn't while it was in the bowl so I might try getting some more of that and going a couple days with it and see what happens.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

You might try putting the wet on a plate instead of in a bowl. Cats are contrary critters all right.
D'Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

One step ahead of you lol. Tried that last night with the taste of the wild stuff. He still wouldn't go near it. And I had no way of keeping Alex from eating it so after a little while I picked it up and put some dry food down. How do you deal with one picky cat and one pig? Do you put one in a different room?

Last edited by marie73; 07-27-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I think I'd try that. I only have one cat, plus a small dog who isn't sure he's a dog. I thought I'd have a problem with Yoshi trying to steal the cat's food but no. He backs off and lets her eat first, even if she's stealing his food. Go figure. He's three times her size (for now).
D'Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

UPDATE
My cats are brats. That's all there is to it. I was so worried about them not eating their wet food. When I got home today and after not eating their dinner last night (causing me considerable concern), they had completely cleaned their bowls today. At dinner tonight, Alex looked at me to make sure I hadn't walked away and then dug right in. Sammy wandered off but he tends to wait until he knows I'm not doing anything interesting before he goes back to eat dinner. So, I gave him a piece from my finger (which he ate) and slid the bowl over and he started eating like he hadn't been totally ignoring all soft foods for two weeks. And this is the food I had them on before they turned up their little noses and I started experimenting with different flavors. I've been working some long hours (12hour ish days plus forty minutes commute) and apparently they go on semi hunger strikes to get attention. As soon as I was appropriately worried and paying attention, they started eating again. *sigh*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement