Why cats don't blink? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Question Why cats don't blink?

I played another "staring contest" with Metoo, and, as always, I lost. It seems cats never blink, or at least very infrequent. Why don't they need to blink? Don't they need to moisture their eyes?

Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I think cats stare to show that they are dominant. This is why it is suggested not to stare directly at a cat and instead blink your eyes slowly. Blinking communicates that you love them and if they blink back, that means they are saying, "I love you too".
kittywitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I understand all of your saying, but those are just general guidelines and don't apply to every cat in world. Metoo is one of those exceptions. She is more "puppy" than a kitten. She is spoiled rotten since her birth and sweet & trusting by nature. She doesn't see anything, including other cats, vacumm, and vet, as threat and will let you do anything to her. There is no way she feels intimidated by my staring. Whenever I play this staring game with her, she just tilt her head and look at me curiously. She never tries to hold the stare in order to win the contest, she wins because she doesn't need to blink. I will never play this game with Meatball though, because she is more of control and attitude and possibly won't appreciate my staring.

BTW, the "blink slowly thing" never work for ether of my cats. Tried it many times before, and they will just give me one "stop being so stupid" look and go on with what they are doing at the time :/

Last edited by yingying; 09-24-2011 at 03:25 PM.
yingying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Cats don't need to lubricate their eyes as often as humans do...so, you're right, that explains why they don't often blink. I think their third eyelid plays a role in lubricating their eyes, although I'm not entirely sure.

As kittywitty noted, blinking in cats is often a form of communication, although not all cats communicate that way. In my case, Abby does, but Muffs doesn't.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Oh, goodness, I know exactly what you mean! Ody has HUGE round eyes and when he just stares off (or at me - totally non-dominate as well since he is also more puppy than cat) it can get a little creepy...
brezofleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

all my cats except Archie love to hold eye contact. Archie was an older shelter kitty and get nervous if you look to long in his eyes. but the ones I raised from babies have no issues with it. but of course they do the "kitty of the corn" thing and stare.. no blinking..so to go with the original qurstion, probably just don't need to.

As to slow blinking Sherbert would immediately get up when I did that and come over for a head butts and lap time.. and Pepper would blink back then close her eyes for a nap while purring.
BotanyBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Cats don't need to lubricate their eyes as often as humans do...so, you're right, that explains why they don't often blink. I think their third eyelid plays a role in lubricating their eyes, although I'm not entirely sure.
Why cats don't need to lubricate their eyes frequently? Or maybe I should ask, why do human need to lubricate our eyes frequently?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

instead of slow blinking, try a slow wink. Just one eye. If I stare at MowMow and wink and then kind of smack my lips (open my mouth slightly and close it super fast) he goes ballistic. I do it about 3 times and he starts trilling and it seems like he sees it as an invitation to play.

He isn't impressed with the slow blink either and he always lets me win the staring contests. He just walks away.

CF Sig by KrisMowBook, on Flickr
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I read somewhere that cats don't blink like we do. They can get away with partial blinks and because of instinct often they will only do one eye at a time. I could be off my rocker though....lol
Cats&Plants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Muffin is like Metoo, he likes eye contact. When he's excited or very happy his eyes get wide and he stares happly at me, it's all in the expression. He get even more excited/happy if I made a relaxed happy face and stare right back at him. He loves it!

Doran is ok with eye contact, but doesn't seek it out. Both Jitzu and Torri prefer not to be stared at, but they are ok with me watching them for a while. It's the tension in your face that shows meaning, don't forget that.

When one of them (or all of them..*sigh*) has done something naughty I reinforce my "nuh uh!" with a firm glare. They get the picture much more quickly this way.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement