Heat lamp for cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Heat lamp for cat?

I am wondering how safe this is? I have a couple lamps and bulbs (infrared, mostly) that I use for my reptiles.

Voldie really seems to like the warm... but is it safe to use one?
Dominoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I am a Long time herp keeper and after a ton of research I came to the conclusion that there was just no safe way. for reptile heat sources to be utilized for cats/kittens. I even tried to figure ways on using them for the newborn orphaned kittens in their incubators and it just wasn't a safe enough option.

Our cats routinely sly next to or on top of herp habitats - they love the heat and it took a lot of doing to buy/build enough to keep those secure.

FYI - a number of companies make year round heat mats for dogs and cats indoor/outdoor too. my cats love the one I have (foster kitties get it mostly but every once in awhile the housecats get a turn and they all pile on. the cat pads stay at a 101 even (kitty body heat) and have reinforced safety cords and such - a much better option than heat lamps in my experiece, no burns and no potential fires.
Nora
Nora B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Many years ago we had an outdoor cat, and to keep her milk from freezing my dad devised a way to have a lamp over the bowl. It was just high enough to not catch fire, for the 80's it was an ingenious design lol. One day I came home from school and went to feed Ginger and there she was, a full bowl of frozen milk and she was perched under the lamp lol. After that, dad took the top off the cat house, put in fresh hay and moved the lamp over her bed. For a man who claims he doesn't like cats, he certainly went out of his way to make her comfortable

She lived like that for 20 years, we never had a mouse and she never went without milk and heat in the winter. She was a sweet kitty and I still miss her dearly.

Now adays, I wouldn't do this again though, there are much safer ways of keeping a cat warm!!
Cats&Plants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I've heard some people use heat lamps for feral shelters. I'm not sure what kind of lamp exactly, and they are either high enough where the cats can't get them, or have those wire guard things around them.
Vivid Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

A heat lamp is a good option for an outdoor shelter.

For indoor cats, your best option is to go to the pet store and get a heated bed.
raecarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I have a heated pet bed for our kitties...TBH though Jitzu completely monopolizes the thing. They might get a second for christmas this year. lol.

We also have a few reptiles and one of the favorite sleeping spots is on top of their tanks. I cat-proofed one tank in a way that solves a few issues we'd been having. Duke, our male leopard gecko, came with a tank that has a thin screen lid. This is clearly NOT kitty-proof, so after deciding where his tank would go I had a brain storm! We had an extra peice of countertop from where my dad installed the sink, so I laid that overtop of most of his tank. It fits perfectly! So now, instead of lying on the counter (like naughty kitties) they can lie on the nice warm counter peice above Duke's tank. Perfect! ...of course they do still lie on the counter sometimes, but what can you expect? They're cats!

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I have one of these in the garage house for Midnight, the wild cat, for use in the winter. From Farm Innovators Inc.