Water Fountain - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Water Fountain

I am not sure which section this belongs in, so if this is the wrong one, I apologize. This section just seemed most suited.

I decided to make the cats (and dogs) a water fountain.

I've read that cats prefer running water (which is obvious) and will drink much more often if they're given a source of running water.

It didn't cost me a dime because I had everything laying around the house (I'm an aquarium hobbyist) but even starting from scratch it would be very inexpensive.

The filter (and plain sponge that goes inside) cost about $10-15 and the plastic bin is obviously cheap ($1-3) so it's quick, easy and inexpensive. Also, the filter uses very little power, so it won't really boost your electric bill.

So far, the cats seem to like it, but the dogs aren't quite sure. :lol3:

The filter will keep it clean, we won't have to fill it so often (holds about 4 gallons) and it sure looks a lot better than a bowl with a bunch of hair in it!
Pooch&Dosscara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

this is pretty neat, except the electric cords kind of scare me! However, I am glad I saw this. I read the same about running water being more interesting to cats and I looked into getting a fountain for Beauty, but when I saw the prices, I couldn't get it. I didn't comparison shop, but still. Neat idea!
Beauty Betty Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

That's a great little homemade gadget! My cat has a water fountain too. He drinks out of that more than any other water bowl/bottle I've given him.

Water fountains come in a wide variety of prices. I've seen some costing anything from USD30+ to USD100+!! Mine is just an average one, with one stream and 3 different level bowl areas. In Hong Kong they usually cost around HKD350-400 which is around USD45. Maybe you should shop around or if you don't have time, do it online.
Milky's Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Yeah, I figured why not when I had everything I need right here!
I've heard a few complaints about commercial cat fountains, mostly about them becoming clogged with hair. Not sure though as I didn't really research them or shop around at all, I just read about the idea of one and put it together. Haha

BBB, don't worry about the electrical cords! The black one is for the filter, because it is made for an aquarium (it is intended to be submersed deep into the bottom of a tank) it is guarenteed 100% waterproof and the outlet is high above the couch, far away from any splashing. The white one dangling behind is just an extension cord that runs across the wall to one of my aquariums, it's got nothing to do with the fountain.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Good job! Yeah, I was idling thinking of having a DIY fountain too. The commercial ones are so expensive and they're not trouble-free either! Stuff like it's hard to keep clean, bacteria build up, hair clogging etc.

I can't see clearly, is the water just kinda moving/churning around in the bin? It would be nice if there was a waterfall kind of movement.
Alpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

The water is kinda splashing upward from the bottom of the bin.
I bought the filter a long time ago at the Pet Shop for something like $10, it's for a small fish tank.
Here is the same one on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Hagen Elite Underwater Mini Filter, UL Listed: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Hagen Elite Underwater Mini Filter, UL Listed: Pet Supplies

If you wanted more of a waterfall type fountain you would want this one:
Amazon.com: Red Sea Nano Aquarium Filter: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Red Sea Nano Aquarium Filter: Pet Supplies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement