Male vs Female personalities? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Male vs Female personalities?

Do you find a difference in a male versus a female cat's personalities?

I originally title this "Why do we love our cats." Hope I can put this into words. I love both of my cats, but for different reasons.

Colonel, my first cat, is what I would call a companion cat. He always wants to be where I am. Not on my lap but beside me. If I am at the computer he has to have a chair beside me. If working on a piece of equipment in the shop, he sits on the work bench and watches. If I am cooking he has to have a chair beside me. When I go to bed he is laying beside me. IIf I try and wrap my arm around him for cuddles he leaves.
He is a flame point so very handsome. What first attracted him to me was his gorgous blue eyes.

Onyx, my second cat, came to me on a cold winter night. I was leaving for work and tripped over her. I scoped her up and brought her inside excitedly saying "Looky what I just found." Fortunately I was leaving for work early and had the time to quickly set up a safe room. Nothing special about her looks. Just a solid black cat. When I picked her up, I could hear her purring loudly. No I have a slight hearing problem so she must of been roaring. Still don't know exactly why I love her so much.

Being solid black she doesn't have any special eye appeal, but struts around like she is a model. "I know I am beautiful. Don't you just love me". Colonel just walks ito the room.
Onyx seems to be more sensitive to my feelings. If I come home from work stressed out, she is always on my lap. "Whats awrong?" Colonel could care less.

Are female cats more in tune with thier slaves needs than males?
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshel View Post
Nothing special about her looks. Just a solid black cat.

Being solid black she doesn't have any special eye appeal,...
Are you kidding me? You need your head and/or your eyes checked, human!!!

Signed,

Cleo

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
Old 12-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

You can't classify cats strictly by gender.
Many female cats are rather vain, they're beautiful and they know it, many also know what they want and are determined to get their way.
The males can be big Mama's boy's and don't seem as concerned about their appearance.
Both sexes can be totally devoted to the human that makes the effort to bond with them.
As for lap cat or not lap cat, gender isn't a factor, two cats from the same litter can be quite different, one my love lap time and the other prefer to sit next to but not on their human.
Samantha wasn't a lap cat and neither is Chiquita but both like sitting on the arm of the chair beside me, their predecessor Meme loved nothing better then spending the evening in Papa lap while he watched TV.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Are you kidding me? You need your head and/or your eyes checked, human!!!

Signed,

Cleo
My eyes were examined 3 weeks ago so I don't think it is my eyes. Maybe my head.
Onyx came to me in Dec of last year. I had been wanting a second cat for three years. I had to complete the deal with my wife before I could get a second cat. The deal was I had to sell my cattle. I sold them in Oct. of last year. My dream cat was an Ocicat. I had been in touch with several breeders and was struggling with my feelings about wanting a purebred when there are so many cats in shelters that need homes. After taking Oynx in, I no longer what an Oci. I was in love with the Oci's coloration at the time

To me, Onyx has so much inner beauty and would never get rid of her.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Awwwww!

Forgiven!

Signed,

Cleo

Old 12-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I've always heard that male cats are more loving and affectionate, but I've never been owned by one.

Cali and Charlee are my lap cats and like to be next to me, and like to keep me company while I'm in the kitchen. Or bathroom. Or bedroom.

Cleo is my empath cat and only talker. She knows my moods and comforts me and has to fall asleep on my pillow, touching my shoulder or face. But she doesn't like being picked up (at all!) and is definitely not a lap cat.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I've looked into this a great deal...

You'll have people saying their female was more loving/bonding/calmer than any male they have had. And you'll hear the reverse said, BUT... the numbers are fairly consistent. If you break down the 3 options

1 - males more attentive/loyal/affectionate
2 - females more attentive/loyal/affectionate
3 - equal chance of either

You'll find equal or males always in the higher probability of these traits. Meaning if you were to role the dice, it would come up equal or male more often

YES, every cat is different, but this is the general consensus
Old 12-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Yes, the female strays stick with me and the males like to wander around. I always say they have more of the typical behaviors of men and women than of cats.

Princess is a lot more attuned to me than Prince. When I was vomiting, Prince went into hiding, in fear (men, grrr). Princess, on the other hand, sat with her tushy on the very spot where it hurt (how did she know?!), and it helped.

My female strays were all together at the supermarket entrance here downstairs, the 3 of them whining in unison about a dog (tied to a post outside the supermarket) and how afraid they were of him. Yet they wouldn't go back to our feeding station (a few feet from there) and they stayed by the dog. They just like to whine about it, not solve the problem. Typical females.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I dunno that gender really makes a difference, I feel it really depends on the cat's unique personality and experiences. I have a solid black male (who I personally find beautiful, but to each his own. My mom thinks he's plain and not very pretty!) My indoor male, Bat, is not a very affectionate cat at all. He rarely lays on my lap and he VERY rarely purrs. I've had him since he was six weeks old and can only remember a handful of times he's purred actually. He'll lay on my lap occasionally and sleep, but follows me to every room I go to almost. He just doesn't seem to like the touchy feely stuff. I have an indoor female who is the exact opposite, Itty Bitty is so affectionate it's crazy. She's ALWAYS purring and sitting on someone. Overflowing with affection. My outdoor cats are the opposite, the outdoor males (Fererra and Ayashe) are sweet and always licking you, rubbing against your legs, and purring up a storm; whereas my outdoor female (Pecan Sandy) generally strays away from human contact period. Though I do find Itty Bitty to be quite oblivious to my feelings, when Bat is very in tune with them. Of course, I've had him MUCH longer.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

This is a tough one.

Samson (male) is DEFINITELY the most affectionate of our two. Hands down. He always needs to be on you if you're on the lounge/in bed. He tries to get closer and closer to our faces and he dribbles a lot when he's loving snuggles with us.

Meeka (female) on the other hand is a little princess. She struts her stuff just as you described Onyx. She's more open to people she doesn't know than Sammy is but she's not as smoochy as him. She has been much more snuggly the last few months but it's still just when she feels like it, not all the time. However, I have noticed that whenever I am crying, she does come and give me snuggles.
Advertisement

Closed Thread