Do you ever pick up your cat by the scruff? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Do you ever pick up your cat by the scruff?

Recently I have a box with packing peanuts stored in my closet. Every time when I open my closet, my Metoo will dash into the box (I think Meatball wants to get into that box too, but she was beaten by Metoo every time). The box is exactly the size of Metoo, so she can snuggle in very comfortably. However it is almost impossible for me to get her out. I usually pick my cats up by putting my hand under their armpit, but I cannot squeeze my hand into the box, and the box is deep. I guess Metoo knows my intention so she makes it even harder. I end up having to tilt the box, almost upside down to get her out. But then I have to put all peanuts back...

I remembered that ppl says cats can be held by scruff. I tried to do that, but it's kind of scary to have all the loose skin up in my hand. And when I try to lift Metoo, I feel like I'm losing the grip and afraid I will hurt her. Anyone ever pick up an adult cat by scruff? Does your cat enjoy it? Are there any tricks to do it?

Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I was always under the impression that it's not good to do with adult cats. It is natural for kittens, since thats how mommy carries them, but adults weigh much more so I don't think we can apply that logic. I swore off a vet who once carried my cat by the scruff :/
shan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My vet holds my cats still by grabbing their scruff, but I don't think he ever lifted them that way... There are online articles say that holding a cat by scruff can calm them down, but, well, many online articles are not trustworthy...

PS: A bit off topic but related. When I was a kid, I saw many ppl holding rabbits by their ears. They said the rabbit ears are senseless and I believed them. It's only after over 10 years later that I realized how wrong they were.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I do frequently with Blacky, she's only about 6 pounds. I only do it for a few seconds, like to pick her up from the ground into my arms or to haul her over top of something (like the dogs blocking her way from getting to me on the bed )... she's never complained.

I don't so much with Blaze, he used to weigh about 15 pounds and it didn't seem like such a good idea. When I have done it though he's never complained either.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Absolutely do not lift an adult cat by the scruff...the weight is to much and can damaged muscles and nerves. Holding them by the scuff while their body is supported by your other hand, table, floor, etc. is fine. But don't lift by the scruff.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Absolutely do not lift an adult cat by the scruff...the weight is to much and can damaged muscles and nerves. Holding them by the scuff while their body is supported by your other hand, table, floor, etc. is fine. But don't lift by the scruff.

+1

It's not good.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
This.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I'll scruff Freya when clipping her nails or something but always supporting their body. I would definitely agree that it hurts them if you pick them up by the scruff when they're an adult.
KTyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I have always been too afraid of hurting Milky to do this. I always hold him with one arm under his rump and another under his arms then tilt him over to lie snuggly in my arms, kind of like holding a baby!
Milky's Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I think you need to put a lid of some sort over the box!
KittehLuv'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement