Did you choose your cats or did they choose you? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Did you choose your cats or did they choose you?

Did you pick you cat our from a litter, shelter, breeder, or so on or did you cat come to you.

example. Alex was brought home by my ex-wife, he is still here she is gone so I'd chalk that up as he chose me since I didn't pick him out. Snickers showed up under the porch so again she chose us I'd say.

I'm not saying one is better than the other nor that if you picked yours out from a box of kittens that they didn't also choose you. I just want to know if you picked your out or if like me you just all of a sudden had a kitten or cat.

Just out of curiosity if you picked yours out what did you base your choice on?
cdj1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I picked Murphy out from a list of 300 cats for adoption at my local SPCA for two reasons -- they said he was affectionate and declawed. I would never have a cat declawed, but at least at that point wanted a declawed cat. They deserve a home too, right?? When we went to meet him, he was purring like a steam engine and was all over us, so we knew the affectionate part was true.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Bob chose my husband. He was sitting on the floor in the shelter's office and Bob kept crawling intothe computer he was working on. Hubby decided that he just had to come home.

Simba, Missy and Miss Baby were dumped at the shelter when they were about 3 weeks old. Hubby was at the shelter and called me to see if we could foster them. They are still here almost 9 years later, so I think they chose us.

Gracie chose my hubby by coming up and sitting on his foot. We had stopped at a friend's house who was fostering him and his siblings when Gracie did this. He is only about 1 month younger than the Simba and the others.

Molly Brown chose my hubby. One evening he was at the shelter meeting with one of the Board members (have you noticed a trend of hubby with the shelter and bringing cats home? that is why he is banned from the shelter) and she showed him a new litter that had come in. When I got there to look at the litter I saw one that was just staring up at Hubby and seemed so fixated on him. So...here she is 4 years later.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Leazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I went to the APL to look at cats last July and I just knew I was going home with one. I didnt know it would be a 7 week old kitten though.

I looked around the cat room. I had a 3 legged black cat jump on me and try to whoo me off my feet. He was quite charming. I liked him alot but he was male. I wanted a female if at all possible. I looked around and saw a pile of 3 kitten sleeping. They were so cute. I was drawn to the orange and white one. I picked her up and she stretched and yawned then buried herself into me. She was uch a lovey little girl. I was hooked. I looked no further. I brought my Mia home that day.
Penny135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I chose Blaze even though he was feral... nine year olds make impulsive decisions, haha. Blacky choose me, she was a semi-feral outside that we began feeding, it took a year before she'd even let me pet her and even longer before she could stand being inside a house at all... it took a lot of effort to win her over, but as I type this she's sleeping on my lap.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I chose both my girls. Both were chosen before I even met them in person. My criteria is mainly on the coloring, and gender would be a factor if I have options. I didn't worry about their temperment at all, since both breeds are known to be very affectionate, and their breeders have good reputation on socializing their kittens
Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Oscar: Pure bred Alley Cat, of the tuxedo variety. We sorta chose each other, and stuck with it.

Alice: Pure bred Farm Cat, Tortie with the tortitude. My wife picked her out of a cardboard box.

Truman: Pure bred and registered Ragdoll. We saw his brother on a website, called the breeder and ended up (happily, of course) with Truman.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I say Orry picked me. He was about 8 weeks old when someone found him starving in a laundry chute and took him to our local Humane Society. He was turned in on my birthday. The next day as a birthday gift my husband took me there to pick up a kitty. As I was walking down the hall they were all sleeping except for one. As soon as he saw me he meowed. I was hooked. When I held him he felt so thin but he was purring away and immediately started making his biscuits. Hard part was I had to wait 5 days for him to come home.
Lucy
orrymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Maggie was a 12 week old kitten that had been adopted by another family and turned back into the shelter the day before I went there because she kept jumping into the baby's crib. In the meantime, they had her for 2 weeks and never noticed the severe ear mite infestation that she had....it was so bad that it took 3 months to get all the crud out of her ear canal, they had to do a final cleaning while she was knocked out to get spayed. So, while I can't really say that Maggie picked me, I like to think that she knew there was something better out there for her and acted out so they'd take her back (not that I really think that she can reason that way...but it sounds good )

Kobi definitely picked me. I was in the shelter working an adoption day with absolutely no intentions of bringing home a kitten. But he grabbed my arm as I walked by his cage and it was over.

Since Holly came from a breeder, I picked her from photos...with the caveat that I had to meet her and she needed an outgoing, brave personality (to deal with Kobi)....which she did.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

My fiance chose his elder cat TC(RIP) from a shelter. She kind of chose him because she jumped up on the gate to the enclosure that the kittens were kept in and reached out to him. He got his other cat, Chinchilla from a crazy cat lady. She was the smallest kitten from a litter. With Peanut, we saw him about a week or two after we had to put TC to sleep, at the local Petsmart. We kept visiting him after that, put in the application to adopt him and then got him towards the end of December.
LadyMiseryAli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement