Tortitude, fact or fiction - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Tortitude, fact or fiction

Torties, Torbies and Calico cats have all been attributed with having certain personality quirks often referred to as Tortitude.
I Googled the term and brought up quite a few informative acticles but none of them actually explained why many of these tri-colored cats have these distinct personalities.
I've had close dealing with four of these cats in my life, the first was Pandora my older sister Tortie, my oldest sister had a habit of dumping her pets at Mom's house when she could no longer keep them, I believe this was when she moved to New York City for a year.
Pandora was a different kinda cat, she didn't like just anyone, this was the late 60's no one got their cats fix or knew anything about a proper introduction.
So Pandora had a litter of kittens one of which was a beautiful Tortie we named Samantha, she had a lovely red blaze down the middle of her face and was a super friendly loving kitty.
Fast forward to the mid 90's our red tabby office cat had just passed away and one of the girls got Barbara the owner a Dilute Calico that became Matty, she was a super sweet kitten but grew up to be a bit of a grouch, this might have been because she lived in the office alone 2/3rds of the time.
The last was my beloved Samantha, named after the first Samantha because she had a blaze down her face and was very sweet too.
She was a typical Maine Coon female, beautiful but not stuck up, she was also very much the crazy kitty when the mood hit her.
So I've read that these cat have personality quirks that set them apart from other cats but no explanation why, is it the same genetic combination that makes them tri-colored?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'd say it's all fiction. Just like information in a horoscope or something, the description is vauge enough that if you look hard enough you're gong to find similarities in your cat. I'd say the only way it may be somewhat true is if it's based on the notion that female cats (most calico and torties are) act differently than male cats, which is another debated subject.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 03-24-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Carmel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Technically there are no color linked personality traits. But I will say that Callie (a calico...what else with a name like that) had tortitude in spades. But then Onyx (all black...yes, I tend to go with the obvious for names) had the same type of attitude. Of my current three, Maggie has her moments but nothing like the previous two.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's true in our house! Miss Baby was supposed to be Baby Girl put we had to add the Miss due to her attitude. She talks all the time and if things don't go her way she will certainly let you know. Miss Baby is a dilute tortie. Her sister Missy also talks and will paw at you when she wants to get on your lap. Her main claim to fame is crying a special cry until you pick her up and put her on your shoulder as if you were going to burp her.

It is never boring with these two in the house.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Leazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Azalia is a torbie. The other cats do have different levels of "attitude", but she's the only one in the house that goes around smacking cats when they get on her nerves lol

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Maybe since the majority of tri-color cats are female? I feel like female cats tend to have a tude.
shan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Zoey rules the house. She is a mama's girl, but likes my husband too. She has recently started letting my son pick her up.
My Golden Retriever is terrified of her - he won't come near me if she is around. When my son's dogs are over, Zoey hisses and spits at them. One of my my goofy Sheepies gives her a big ol' sloopy lick and Zoey shuts up - she knows from experience that will continue until she shuts up. lol
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley
Old 03-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Coat colour has no bearing on personality.
spotty cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

In fostering all types of cats, orange tabbys, tuxys, black cats, calicos, torties, etc Ive found they do have certain type personalities in my experience. Why I dont know.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

We have 2 torties, one has almost every trait of 'tortitude' and the other has none so I can imagine it's a coincidence. Its's a nice idea though
Leanne2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement