Any idea how to get sticky stuff out of cat's hair? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Any idea how to get sticky stuff out of cat's hair?

Ollie has something on the top side of his tail. Like maybe he brushed underneath something that had something on it. It looks greasy and feels stiff so I thought it was just food grease of some sort. It has been there for at least a couple of weeks, I just got around to giving him a bath today. I washed the area with Dawn, then cat shampoo, then realized it was still stiff and washed again with Dawn. I figured that was good enough, but when he dried it still looks the same as before. My guess would be glue. My kids were building wooden cars with glue on my last day of school and I came home to a gluey dining room table. Would mineral oil or something like that work? Any tried and true remedies? I guess worst case it will eventually go away as he sheds and grows new hair, it doesn't bother him but it makes him look unkempt to me.
kty78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Oh, and when I first noticed it I tried using a warm damp wascloth but that didn't do any good.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You can try freezing it with an ice cube wrapped in a cloth. But if it's really glue, that won't do it. I'd very carefully cut it out...

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Here's a combination of olive oil and peanut butter treatments:

How to Get Sticky Glue Out of Cat Hair | eHow.com

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thanks, I will try the olive oil and peanut butter. I really don't want to cut it out. It' s not like a glob, it looks like it is combed into a 2" section of his tail. It really just looks like greasy fur but if it was grease it should have washed out. Same with syrup or popsicle, etc, right?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

If the remedy posted doesn't work, I really think you should cut it out. Hair matted together like that, regardless of the cause, hurts. The skin is pulled into points by the matted hair. His fur will grow back.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

lol. sorry, your post just made me think of a pta-like message board years ago and one woman wrote, "HELP how do you get gum out of your hair??"

the peanut butter/olive oil/freezing works on people to some extent, but usually cutting it out is the only thing that gets all of it.

if it's glue, it's not coming out. just like i never found a way to get ink out of anything colored (or crayon, especially if it was in a pocket and went through the dryer lol), i don't know of a sure-fire glue remover. it's just one of those DON'T GET THIS IN YOUR HAIR substances. people get glue from weaves stuck in their hair and usually end up pulling a lot out. but there is a special remover for that. i doubt if you want to buy a bottle to use on a cat though.

i know exactly what you mean though, it's not like a clump, it's just sticky and weird. kind of cut the ends off a little and see if it helps. then it won't look like you cut a big hunk out of the cat's hair.

or you could use spiking gel and do it to all of his hair. (no one freak out, i'm kidding, i know the cat would lick it and get sick.)

and yes, if it were motor oil or a petroleum-based substance, washing it with dawn most likely would have gotten it. i think, unless it's axle grease or something. get a paper towel warm and hold it on there for a little. if it leaves a spot, it's probably something industrial that's just going to have to wear off.

or maybe you could use nail polish remover and see what happens, but you'd have to wash it off reallly well and good luck getting npr anywhere near a cat.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I would try either mineral oil or canola oil. Gently work it through the hair then try to scrape it off with your fingers.
Penny135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

What sort of glue was it?

How to Remove Elmer's Glue | eHow.com

I think Elmer's is that white stuff.

Search for removing spilled glue (or spilt).

Last edited by jusjim; 06-06-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Addition
jusjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Please do let us know if you find something that works.
Advertisement