best outdoor cat houses? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default best outdoor cat houses?

I bought a little doghouse for my stray last year, which he absolutely loved. But he may have peed or marked inside recently, because he refuses to go in it now. The sides are plastic, floor is wood, and I have the wood planks covered with corrugated cardboard to keep out the wind. Then there's a towel on top of the cardboard. I didn't see or smell anything, I washed off the inside as best I could (it's hard to reach in there, and the roof doesn't come off), and I washed the towel, but he still won't go in.

So...I'm looking for a new cat house. Even though the house is on my 2nd floor deck, which is covered, it gets very windy here, and if it rains hard, water does pool on some of the wood planks, so the ideal house would have a small, recessed entry/overhang, and a raised bottom. This seems impossible to find.

I checked out the links in the feral cat forum, but almost all of them are for DIY projects, and I'm hopelessly inept at putting things together (even when they have pre-drilled holes it's an adventure).

I found these, though. Does anyone have one of them, and if so, what do you think? Or can anyone recommend another?

Outdoor Cat House - Purple 22x16,outdoor cedar pet houses,katkabin,Insulated heated cat houses, katkabin dez rez,small pet dog house sales,cat enclosures

This one is cool: Feralvilla Outdoor Cat Shelter

And I also found this one, but it's expensive. I'd rather not pay that much, but if it's significantly better than the others, I would buy it. Outdoor Cat Houses : 17 Inch Cedar Cat House
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

I've seen those, as I've been looking around for one as well. Amazon has a few additional options. Search for "feral cat shelter" or similar phrase and you'll get a couple different results. I'd love to hear what other people have used and like.
LadyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that cats prefer a shelter with two entrances so that they cannot be trapped in the shelter. I see the first option can have a second door added. The second site says that it's not an issue (like I said, I don't know either way).
minikin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

LadyK, thanks for the tip - I found this one
Amazon.com: Feral Cat House: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Feral Cat House: Pet Supplies
I can't decide whether to try this one or the Feralvilla. I don't know if he'll go in this one because it looks so different from the doghouse he's used to.

minikin, I've heard that too, and I can see how a feral might feel trapped. But Casper liked his doghouse, which has only the front entry, so I think he'll be ok. There are a couple of other neighborhood cats (with homes) that occasionally come up to munch his food, but they're not out when it gets cold. I also used to see a raccoon or an opossum up on the deck, but not for over a year. When I saw them, they were only interested in the food. I prodded both of them off with a broom - flying raccon, lol.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by minikin44 View Post
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that cats prefer a shelter with two entrances so that they cannot be trapped in the shelter. I see the first option can have a second door added. The second site says that it's not an issue (like I said, I don't know either way).
That's what worries me. I was thinking of getting one for Guy. He wants inside, but he wants the door open and I don't want to heat the whole city, so when I saw this post I immediately thought of him, but we have prowling raccoons so he wouldn't want to be trapped.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Justjim I've read about cat doors that open only to animals with specific microchips... You could chip him and get one of those, and maybe then he'd be ok with the door closed? Just a thought. I can't even remember how much they cost; it could be outrageous.
minikin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

There are quite a few models that have 2 doors:
Amazon.com: K&H Outdoor Heated Kitty Camper, Measures 14 by 20 Inches: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: K&H Outdoor Heated Kitty Camper, Measures 14 by 20 Inches: Pet Supplies
Amazon Amazon

I just don't know how the kitties will keep warm with 2 doors like that. I guess you could cut some material and staple/glue/tape it over the openings.

The kitty tube, which I eyed last year, says it has a "unique" door design that will keep other critters out. I was scared off by 2 reports that there was a chemical-y smell.

Amazon.com: The new and improved Kitty Tube. Fully insulated outdoor cat house.: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: The new and improved Kitty Tube. Fully insulated outdoor cat house.: Pet Supplies
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Just found these on ebay:

1. Something a handy person could make, but that I couldn't: CAT POD/2 DOORS, OUTDOOR CAT HOUSE, SHELTER, BED,CONDO | eBay

2. This says they'll put an extra door on for $10. INSULATED CEDAR CAT HOUSE SHELTER,KENNEL BED,CRATE, | eBay

3. from the same seller. I like the fact that it's up off the ground, but it seems awfully high. However, this might keep other critters out. SMALL INSULATED CEDAR OUTDOOR CAT HOUSE WITH PLATFORM | eBay

Ugh. Dilemma, and it's getting cold.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Outdoor Shelters for Feral Cats

Winter Cat Shelters for Feral Cats - UrbanCatLeague

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks Mitts & Tess. I did check those; they're DIY projects that I wish I could do.

Ultimately, I ended up ordering this one, with riser legs and a door flap:
outdoor Cat Dog House puppy kitten Feral Pet kennel WARM shelter cedar MEDIUM | eBay

I'll let you know how successful it is with the stray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement