Does anyone use self cleaning cat boxes? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cat

My cat's stool doesn't stink since we feed raw, so we don't have that problem.

Even if that was the case though, I still wouldn't use a self-cleaning litterbox. How are you supposed to know if there's something wrong with your cat? Often times the first (and sometimes only) symptom shows up in the stool or pee. Your cat could be having diahrrea or blood in its stool or pee for months before you realize there's a problem.

I've also heard that self-cleaning litterboxes are not very hygenic, but the above point alone is enough for me to stay away from them.

Maybe you should set up a system with your husband, where the first person to get home or the last person to leave for work has to be the one to clean the litterbox. OR have one person do it on even dates and the other person do it on odd dates, or something.
Arkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I had a self cleaning litterbox (LitterMaid). I saved the receipt and I'm glad I did. 8 months of use and it died...in a one cat household. I ended up requesting my money back from the manufacturer.

But it wasn't just that it died. I hated the thing from the start. The thing would always error halfway through cleaning the box and whatnot. It was also more work to keep the thing clean. Poo and urine-caked litter would stick to the bottom of the pan because the litter isn't designed deep enough and poo would stick to the rake.

I think my home is fresher smelling now that I manually clean...

I should say I blame Oz for destroying the LitterMaid in a way. He would do his business, get out of the box and wait. When the cleaning cycle started he would put his front paws on top of the waste receptacle's lid and wait for the motor to raise and lower the lid. I don't know... kitty roller coaster?

Last edited by aniela; 11-08-2012 at 11:26 PM.
aniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement