Cats in winter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Cats in winter

I know that there are stray cats outside all year round but can cats survive outside in a really cold winter?

I'm have problems again with the neighbours cat that always comes by. The guy throws him out of the house whenever the daughter is not home(she's a student I think and barely home... He is really mean to him, don't think he likes cats). Anyways it is getting colder here and the weather has been bad (stormy and raining lots) he's always on my porch crying to come inside. It's really sad. Just this morning when I was leaving he was on my porch under a chair staring at me crying. I got out and gave him some love. He also has tick bits all over him.

I have a feeling he will be out all winter in snow storms. I just wanted to know if its dangerous for a cat to be out in extreme weather like that.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Cats have fur they are strong. If you must, knit him a sweater. My cat used to get cold in the harsh Welsh winters, but now that he has a sweater he does just fine as he prefers to be outside. I'm glad that you gave him some lobe. All cats need love, continue doing thast and with the sweater asweel it should be fine .
MortyMathers108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I don't think it is safe for a cat to wear a sweater unsupervised outside. The sweater is very likely to get hung up on something. A cat could starve to death or be attacked by a predator.

OP: can you take the cat in? Talk to the daughter about what you have observed, and offer to either "cat sit" when she isn't home or adopt the cat entirely?
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

If you can't adopt this cat, consider providing him w/ a heated house on your porch. Here's one that isn't too expensive:

Outdoor Heated Kitty House | Overstock.com
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Don't put a sweater on an outside cat, please. As Love said, it stands the chance of getting caught up and that's a slow miserable death for the cat.

Also, if it gets wet the cat has NO chance in drying/warming itself. It's just stuck inside a clammy and cold sweater.

Best to provide a shelter like the one Hoof suggested.

CF Sig by KrisMowBook, on Flickr
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I've already taken to feeding the poor guy because honestly I don't think he eats too often. I've seen him out for 24 hours before... I caught him licking water off my plants before. I might start leaving water out too. I can't take him in because the neighbours are nosey and would see him in the window. To be honest I've never met the daughter before.. I don't even know what she looks like she is never home. I'm scared to talk to the dad... He is quite scary looking and always looks angry.

I'm not planning on putting a sweater on him but I was debating taking him to a no kill shelter if he's still out in the winter. They neutered him which im surprised about actually but I doubt he gets any care as like I said he has ton of tick scars on him. I can't take him in because my one cat hates hates hates male cats. She already doesn't care for our oldest female too much. I know about proper intros but bf does not want another cat and we can't really afford one. This boy would get adopted fast as he is really sweet. He loves other cats, dogs, and people. Poor guy just wants love and attention.

I would try and post an ad online but I'm scared they would see it.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I think, if you can get him into the shelter, that would be a good thing for him. If anyone comes asking...you know nothing.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Cats can survive the cold except their ears are vunerable to frost bite. This is one of the things seen with outside cats in Saskatchewan. He does, of course, need food as fuel to keep warm. Cats often prefer water from strange places. Cats come on to my sundeck to lick at puddles. They seem to prefer rain water.

When I was feeding Hey Cat, he came to my back door through six inches of snow, although it doesn't get quite as cold here in Vancouver as it does in Ontario.

I do seem to recall that cats are kept at some Antarctic stations, but I doubt they're left outside all night. (Can you imagine what it must be like to walk around down there in bare feet?)

Can you provide some sort of shelter? A cardboard box covered with plastic might serve. If it was up againts the house, radiant heat might provide some comfort.

Last edited by jusjim; 10-23-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: addition
jusjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Ugh, I see they're not treating him any better If it looks like he's suffering, take him to the shelter, by all means... I doubt "daddy dearest" will come looking for him, and it doesn't sound like the girl will be bothered either if she can't be bothered to be around to give him attention anyway
minikin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

it wouldn't last long out in the cold, but if you got a small shelter to put on your porch, you could put hot water bottles in it in the morning wrapped in a towel. The shelter might help keep some of the heat in. Even once they're not hot anymore, it would still serve to protect from the wind and falling snow.

long-term, the better solution is to get the cat to a shelter to have him taken care of properly. Does the cat have a collar? Could you plead ignorance? "oh, that cat is always running around the neighborhood and his coat was in rough shape, I thought he was a stray so I brought him in"
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement