Good Kitty Condos Help?? Its our first one - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Talking Good Kitty Condos Help?? Its our first one

So Ive convinced myself that Im buying a cat condo for my two babies and I think I should get a little advice first. Ive never had one before so I dont know which ones are good quality or like stand up the best. Those of you out there where have you gotten yours? Petsmart? Petco? Online? What maker? How do the ones that touch the ceiling work? Are they adjustable?

I like to research a lot before I buy things. I wanna spend around 200 and under but if Im spending that much on a tree for them I'd like it to be a good one. I want something similar to one like this with the little sleep house/s on it. Other than that it can be any shape or have anything else on it. Preferably no bigger than this one. Its pushing it

Thanks!
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I want to get a new one. Right now what I have is a cheaply Walmart one. I have been looking at the Kitty Mansions ones. Amazon has them and they look pretty nice. I do not know anything about them though.
Jetlaya67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

We have and Amarkat (the model we have doesn't seem to be available anymore) which is solid and well built. and one from Refined Feline, also well built and very nice looking.

Make sure your kitties are climbing kitties though before you shell out the money on a big tree. My two barely use the trees that we spent mucho $$ on and only go up on the lowest level I think my two are afraid of heights. They don't jump on counertops either. They do love scratching on the posts of the Amarkat.

we also have a simple two level condo that they like to sit on top a lot, only go inside occasionally. At 12 lbs its a snug fit.
CJinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
So Ive convinced myself that Im buying a cat condo for my two babies and I think I should get a little advice first. Ive never had one before so I dont know which ones are good quality or like stand up the best. Those of you out there where have you gotten yours? Petsmart? Petco? Online? What maker? How do the ones that touch the ceiling work? Are they adjustable?

I like to research a lot before I buy things. I wanna spend around 200 and under but if Im spending that much on a tree for them I'd like it to be a good one. I want something similar to one like this with the little sleep house/s on it. Other than that it can be any shape or have anything else on it. Preferably no bigger than this one. Its pushing it

Thanks!
I just got this exact same one for my cats. And the vote is in: 4 out of 4 cats love it! I ordered mine from amarkat for a grand total of $175. No shipping and no handling. Just $175 for everything. When delivered, the box weighs 65 lbs., so make sure you have the FedEx/UPS guy bring it into your home. And it's a breeze to put together.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I like the one I posted before. But what do you all think of this one? seems reasonable in price but like i said Ive never had one. So I dont know what the quality is like.

New York Cat Tree

Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Well, I only had one and I sold it because my cat was not using it at all. I would NOT recommend this one:
Amazon.com: Go Pet Club 62-Inch Cat Tree, Black: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Go Pet Club 62-Inch Cat Tree, Black: Pet Supplies

It's near impossible to get from the second level to the third level because there isn't enough space above the second level...they're pretty much right on top of each other. A cat who tries is a cat who falls off! That one is by Go Pet Club, and to their credit, this cat tree was well built and sturdy, just not well-designed.
AdoptAnAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Wow, there sure are some pretty interesting trees out there.

I have a couple of them, but I tend to go for the narrow ones that don’t take a lot of floor space.

The last one was tall and narrow from Costco. I thought I would have a problem with the cats climbing over each other, but as you can see that wasn't the case for me. And they don’t need steps because they like climbing straight up the back.

Anyway mine is used all the time especially when the blinds are open in the window for them to watch the birds outside. Then it's a game of king of the mountain.

builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

Builder, that is such a great picture! Their lit up eyes make the whole tree look like a Christmas tree. I like how they're all congregating, like they're the Cat Illuminati.
AdoptAnAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoptAnAngel View Post
Builder, that is such a great picture! Their lit up eyes make the whole tree look like a Christmas tree. I like how they're all congregating, like they're the Cat Illuminati.
Thanks, we’re going to use it for Christmas cards this year.
Originally, it was just the white cat on top and she looked like an angle tree topping, then as soon as I grabbed the camera the black one who was below next to the other jumped up on top seconds before snapping the photo. I can’t make these cats do anything and just have to keep a camera with me all the time.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinCA View Post
Make sure your kitties are climbing kitties though before you shell out the money on a big tree. My two barely use the trees that we spent mucho $$ on and only go up on the lowest level I think my two are afraid of heights. They don't jump on counertops either. They do love scratching on the posts of the Amarkat.
Ya, the last time I asked about the "purpose of having a cat tree", till now I am still looking for one. Someone prompted me to observe what ET likes, so I have been observing since. Realised ET don't climb very much, he does scratch all types of services, fabric, sisal, corrugated board, he likes corrugated board most. My hubby suggested we test his interest in climbing by putting his small cat post on top of our large coffee table. He like resting on the coffee table, that's about all, he wouldn't and has never climbed on top of the post, probably cos the top platform is smaller. Observing where he likes to rest, in the end realised he like bigger platform. Its hard finding one with a bigger platform tall enough for him to look out the window.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement