Read declawing as requested by moderator and - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Read declawing as requested by moderator and

While I really don't want to declaw Smudge, for my health it may be necessary. I am a cancer patient and concerned about being scratched. Last night Smudge used my leg as her "helper" to get up on the sofa. I do plan on trying soft paws first. I know this will anger some of you, but I am not willing to give her up.

Last edited by marie73; 11-07-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: font
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I have never met a de-clawed cat and I get the feeling that it may be something only done for medical reasons over here. It isn't done by my vets.

I genuinely sympathise with you but, from what I've read, you are going to be crippling her - she might never walk or move properly again and not because there was anything wrong with her. Maybe I've misread what I've come across on here but if you could find her a really good home - maybe a foster home while your treatment is going on - might be best for both of you.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Unfortunately, my treatments will not stop until I'm gone. I have Stage 4 metastatic breast cancer. Smudge is great comfort to me and her not being here would be devastating. We are going to try soft paws for a few months before making our final decision.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'm so sorry to hear that - I foolishly assumed that it was an awful but temporary situation.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

It's okay, the doctors are still wondering why I'm still here after all I've been through. Keep trying to tell them I'll go when the Lord is ready for me to come live in heaven! I'm a fighter and won't give up with a fight!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My mother passed away from breast cancer last year, so I can understand your concerns...we had the same ones for her when she was at my house. Having someone clip Smudge's nails and apply nail caps is the best solution, even if she has to be taken to the vet or groomer to have it done.

As you've read by now, declawing can cause other problems...biting, litter box avoidance etc. If Smudge develops those issues, who will deal with them if you're not able to? How old is she? The older she is, the more likely there will be issues.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Smudge is about 4 months old. I have read it is not suggested to declaw after they are 6 months old.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I didn't realize that she's so young...using you as a climbing post is a kitten behavior and something she will outgrow within the next several months. While we were concerned about my cats with my mother, since they're all mature adults, all I did was to make sure their nails were regularly clipped so there were no sharp ends.

You're also going to have to weather a biting phase when she starts to get her adult teeth. That will pose more of a risk to you than scratching.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Biting? I hope not!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I'm so sorry to hear about your health. My wife is still recovering from a double mastectomy. We had to keep the cats completely out of the bedroom during the summer and I had to build a ramp for her to get out of bed to use the restroom. She has healed enough now that the cats are allowed to come back in, but she is still fighting off infections and shes on antibiotics now for some bacteria that showed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread