Confining a Cat - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Get your boyfriend fixed. Then dump him.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Cat

We crate trained one of our chihuahuas and the latest was kept in a crate when we left because it had separation anxiety and would destroy things even though it's only 4lbs... She still gets upset when she's left alone but it's not to the extent it was. The other 2 keep her company I guess. With that being said, none of the dogs are in crates now.

The kitten is confined to the master bathroom. It hasn't been tested for FeLV/FIV and the bathroom protects it from my cat and the chihuahuas. I don't think the chihuahuas would hurt her but I'd rather not chance it. She's allowed out when we can supervise.

I would never put a cat in a crate. It is really ridiculous. I assume your cat uses a litterbox so that's not an issue. I can't think of a legitimate reason to put them in crates. With the exception of night, my cat has free run of the house. The master bedroom door is closed at night so she can't go in there and sometimes I'll shut my bedroom door so she's stuck with me but she has food, water, and litter box. 99% of the time she sleeps with me anyways.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I'm seriously contemplating dumping him. I had some pretty heated texts back and forth earlier today. He kept telling me to get over it and that lots of vets would recommend crating animals as it makes them fell secure. I told him it was cruel and it was only when I said "I will not continue the relationship if it comes down to this. Cat trumps boyfriends." he then decided that I won...apparently. He's probably just saying that for now.

I'm not really in a position to tell him how to care for his dogs but if I had any say, they would be free range.

Yes, my cat is well-behaved and doesn't get into any trouble. He always uses the litterbox and has never had an accident.

Last edited by aniela; 11-08-2012 at 10:48 PM.
aniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniela View Post
I'm seriously contemplating dumping him. I had some pretty heated texts back and forth earlier today. He kept telling me to get over it and that lots of vets would recommend crating animals as it makes them fell secure. I told him it was cruel and it was only when I said "I will not continue the relationship if it comes down to this. Cat trumps boyfriends."

I'm not really in a position to tell him how to care for his dogs but if I had any say, they would be free range.

Yes, my cat is well-behaved and doesn't get into any trouble. He always uses the litterbox and has never had an accident.
Tell him you're buying a large dog house for outside as that's where he'll be sleeping when you move in.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I am a firm believer in crate training as long as it's done right. TBH crating them over night doesn't count (IMO) since they'd be lying down in one place anyways.

I've met a large number of dogs who can't be safely left out of a kennel or crate without supervision, regardless of age. There are many dogs who will eat/try to eat things that could make them very sick if you aren't watching. It could very well be for the safety of the dogs.

As long as the kennels are properly sized the crating itself isn't an issue for me (for the dogs).

That being said if he's doing it because he's a control freak and doesn't want them loose while he's not home and they're well trained dogs....that I'd have more issue with.

Confining cats...again, in and of itself isn't a problem for me. Our boys get put away when we sleep, and if we have certain (highly allergic) people over. They have everything they need in their room and they happily run on down when I tell them to 'go to bed'. The like their room.

Torri basically lives in our room, if we aren't home or are sleeping she's in there. It's her own little world away from the other cats and she loves her room!

So again, the idea of confining them for their own safety and so they can't destroy our house...for me it's the attitude that does it. If he honestly said to your face it's because cats are awful terrible things who can't be trusted. THAT would be an instant fail, for me.

Confining a cat to a kennel...not a fan unless there's a good reason for it. (feral and taming, kittens with no where else to put them, medical condition/surgery recovery, ect.) But I taught all my cats to like being in kennels for easy transport to the vet.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Librarychick, he only wants to confine my cat because it apparently wouldn't be fair to his dog who spends most the time in a crate. My cat is well behaved and the worst thing he does is jump on counters. The thing that got me was that right after I got done telling him I wouldn't confine my cat, he started talking about how "evil" cats are.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Excuse me for butting in, but the boyfriend sounds a bit controlling. He sounds like he's trying to rush things along and in a way that suits him (or his dogs). He's not really taking your needs (your cat's needs) into consideration. Consider yourself lucky to be finding this out about him now. If you would get serious with this guy, what else would you disagree on? how to raise the kids? etc. and would he handle things in the same way; his way or the highway?

Good for you for being so level-headed and nipping it in the butt now...you go, girl!

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Confine a cat to a crate??? hahaha That is absurd.... Tell your boyfriend you will crate your cat while your gone as long as you can crate HIM while your gone too... haha If he refuses then I think its time for you to take out the trash Theres a lot of fish in the sea hun!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #19 (permalink)
Kitten

I am a big believer in crate training for both dogs and cats.

I have high drive working dogs who do sport and they must be crated when in the van at training or traveling. When they are old enough, they get free reign of the house... I have an intact male and up until a month ago, an intact female so they obviously were crated when we were not around to ensure no matings occurred. My pups are always crated until they are reliable in the house without my constant supervision.

My cats, they are crate trained as well. This way when I travel they are completely comfortable traveling with me. They get crated in the van, in the house and when we visit my parents for periods of time so they think it's no big deal. The result - excellent traveler cats with no stress being in the crates. I also do this with cat sized travel crates so they are use to that as well.

But, I would never confine a cat for no reason.. that is just silly. If the cat was sick, then yes, to ensure I could keep it away from other pets, to monitor it's behaviour, feedings, water intake and bathroom habits (multiple cat house here).

I would explain to your boyfriend that dogs and cats do not share the same emotions as we do.. maybe he is just not educated when it comes to this? Maybe set up a meet-and-greet with a behaviorist in your area? Have the BF and yourself, ask them question and tell them your concerns.
elisabeth00117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Kitten

This is my car set-up, when the cats travel, they go on the left side with the sherpa covering. I also add a litterbox and squishy pillow for them to curl up on. My youngest dog goes in the one beside it and I remove the seats in the back and add a larger crate for my male dog.

Cats have always rode comfortably in the van when needed. No stress on the cats what-so-ever.

When my Monkey was sick (RIP) she was in a crate so we could monitor her health. Of course she was let out when we were home, but when we left, she went inside so we could monitor her.

elisabeth00117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement