'Replacing' cats in a multi cat household - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Replace is the wrong word, that's why it's quoted. I could never replace any of my girls. Next time I want at least 2 boys and none of the same colours of my current. Although everytime I got one of my cats now it was suppose to be a boy but somehow worked out to be 3 girls. So you're right, you definately can't plan. Who knows. I could find a stray tomorrow that I fall in love with and rescue. You never know.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Kitten

I recently (June) lost my heart pet. My Monkey was sent to the bridge which broke my heart. It all happened very fast, vets couldn't even figure out what had happened and I was not interested in doing an autopsy like they wanted.

My youngest, Dexter who is 4, grieved pretty hard.. and still is. He walks around crying at night, clingy (not just affectionate, but desperate to be with people all the time) and is not as active as he once was. I am trying to help him through this process.

I do not want another cat or kitten right now, my heart is not in it at all. I am still hurting over my Monkey and feel as though bringing in another is not right at this time for me.

I have always gotten pets for ME, not for my other animals, so thinking about bringing in another for Dexter... well, it's a foreign idea to me.

I am going to exhausted every avenue to try and help Dexter move on, but not sure if it will work.

I do not feel that I need to 'replace' the pets I lose, I feel like I need to cherish their memory and when/if I am ready, then think about and plan for another.
elisabeth00117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3furbabies View Post
Replace is the wrong word, that's why it's quoted. I could never replace any of my girls. Next time I want at least 2 boys and none of the same colours of my current. Although everytime I got one of my cats now it was suppose to be a boy but somehow worked out to be 3 girls. So you're right, you definately can't plan. Who knows. I could find a stray tomorrow that I fall in love with and rescue. You never know.
Replace is not a bad word. It is more of an unacheivable dream. I am sure most all of us cat people take what ever comes our way, and that is a good thing.

Last edited by binkyhoo; 11-09-2012 at 01:35 PM.
binkyhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premier Cat

For those of us who have one cat and then lose that cat, you are replacing your status as having a pet when you get the next one. Sure, the next one won't have the same personality as the one you lost, but you're replacing having any pet. Believe me, for the single cat people out there, there's nothing so empty as a house suddenly without your cat to make you realize you need another one.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I don't ever remember being totally without a pet - I have never tried to "replace" any of them - they are too unique - but I really doubt if I could cope on a purely selfish level without some bonded animal.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cat

My cat who I had grown up with passed away when I was 21. I actually wanted another cat right away. I didn't want one the same color because I didn't want it to seem like I was replacing him, but it was weird not having a cat around. We ended up getting two kittens from my grandma's friend who had taken in the pregnant mom cat who was a stray in her neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Krista2882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement