Cats in prison! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Cats in prison!

Touching article about how a cat program positively impacted an Indiana prison. It's a little old, but I hadn't heard about this.

I'm not gonna lie - I teared up multiple times. I wonder about keeping the animals confined, but they said that they're well looked after, and the guards are lax about keeping the cats confined to one cell.

http://omginformation.blogspot.ca/20...murderers.html

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsaidfed View Post
Touching article about how a cat program positively impacted an Indiana prison. It's a little old, but I hadn't heard about this.

I'm not gonna lie - I teared up multiple times. I wonder about keeping the animals confined, but they said that they're well looked after, and the guards are lax about keeping the cats confined to one cell.

An Indiana State Prison lets murderers adopt cats in their cells. ~ OMG Facts Information

Wow, thanks for sharing. I have never heard of that before and I am impressed. I don’t know how the lease works for all the cats but I guess if they're attached when kittens, the cats wouldn’t mind. I'm sure I would want to keep my cat on a leash at all times because I would be worried that it might wounder into the wrong cell.

A relative of ours lived in a retirement home and could only have a cat on a leash. I was very impressed how the cat managed it and didn’t seem to mind at all. the relative said the cat actually felt insecure with the leash off.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing. I have never heard of that before and I am impressed. I donít know how the lease works for all the cats but I guess if they're attached when kittens, the cats wouldnít mind. I'm sure I would want to keep my cat on a leash at all times because I would be worried that it might wounder into the wrong cell.

A relative of ours lived in a retirement home and could only have a cat on a leash. I was very impressed how the cat managed it and didnít seem to mind at all. the relative said the cat actually felt insecure with the leash off.
It seems like the guards are very lax about the leash rules. They said they had a cat that was killed and basically a hit was put out on the guy that did it. One inmate was killed for messing with another's cat. It sounds like the cats have it pretty good there and are well protected.

Not long ago, I also read about a prison that trains puppies to be service animals for people with disabilities and PTSD, etc.

For so many of these people who have done horrible things, it's amazing to see them bond with a living thing. This is true rehabilitation and something our system doesn't always seem too concerned with.

rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Amazing - I read the whole article to my sister.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing this. Although, I have to say, I'm not a big fan of giving a kitten to those on death row. Many of the others will eventually be released into society, so recidivism is a big issue and it sounds like this brings out the good in them.
AdoptAnAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement