My friends are all allergic. :-( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default My friends are all allergic. :-(

My two best friends are quite allergic to cat dander. I wouldn't say it's a severe allergy - they can come over and visit for awhile, but usually can't stay more than an hour. It sucks, because I would love to have them over more often. Is it worth purchasing a fancy ionic air purifier, or am I stuck going to their apartments all the time?
MmeHibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I offer antihistamines to my friends with allergies when they come over.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusworld21 View Post
I offer antihistamines to my friends with allergies when they come over.
Do regular OTC antihistamines work? I don't know why that didn't occur to me. Does anything work better than the rest?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I have mild allergies to cat dander and generic OTC antihistamines work fine for me. I have tried Zyrtec, Claritin, Benadryl, etc. (both name-brand and generic versions of each) and personally did not find that one works better than another. I notice improvement within 5-10 minutes of taking the antihistamine; maybe suggest your friends be proactive and take one BEFORE coming over?
CatMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If your friends are willing to do that, then I suggest you also do your part by dusting and vacuuming the rugs and furniture before they come. And keep your cats in a separate room while they are visiting.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

We have quite a few friends who are very allergic, but as long as we sweep (hard floors help a LOT) and wipe down the couches (leather couches, also helpful) and put the friendly ones away before they get here they can stay as long as they like. I can leave Jitzu or Torri out because they'd much rather nap than pester allergic people.

When we have a party we can also have allergic people sleep over in one of our 'cat free' rooms if it's needed. We don't keep those rooms cat free for that reason specifically, but it is handy.

Some people think it's mean to put your cats away because 'they live here too'! But TBH the boys like their room, and it's not like they're locked up forever, or that their room doesn't have everything they need. The truth is we have people over once every few weeks, and it won't kill your kitties to be locked up for a few hours once in a while.

I do also offer antihistamines as well for guests who WANT to pet the kitties despite their allergies, and I do make sure they're hands are washed right after petting time.

Becky and the cats: Jitzu (9), Torri (6), Doran (5), and Muffin (5)
librarychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Yeah, I think half the trouble is that our cats want to greet people. My friends want to pet the cats, but then if you pet the cat and then rub your eye, it's all over. I'll go pick up some non-drowsy antihistamine today.

Incidentally, I have been allergic to only 2 cats in my entire life. They were siblings. I'd pick them up and nuzzle them with my face, and my eyes would get watery and I'd start sneezing within seconds. Weird, right?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

ach, who needs human friends... lol
My bf takes otc antihistamines when he vists his mom bc he;s SO allergic to horses.
OliverandCo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My youngest daughter's best friend has an allergy to cats. We do what everyone else has already suggested and we vacuum, dust and we wash the slip covers on our furniture, change all the sheets and blankets on the bed where she will be and we also keep the cats out of that room for a few days to a week before she comes over. When she is here, the cats remain downstairs,which is a big area and is comfortable for them. They don't seem to mind. She did get a little bit of a reaction when she slept too close to the window. The cellular blinds probably had a bit of cat dander on them, but other than that she does well. Her mom is surprised how well she does actually because she doesn't do as well at her other friend's houses. Poor girl has only cat lovers for friends!
I don't know why she does better at our house. It could be that we had a lot of uncarpeted areas compared to the others or that we use our robot vac every day. Or it could be the diet of our cats on an all grain free canned/raw diet. Her other friends cats eat low quality dry food. I read a study about that once so I am curious whether that is part of it or not. I also read that unneutered male cats can be a big problem to allergy sufferers but again, I don't think that is proven either.
goombella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombella View Post
Poor girl has only cat lovers for friends!
Then she has excellent taste!
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement