Shop cat? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tom Cat

When I studied abroad, the Math/Sciences building had a building cat named Ollie.
BigDaveyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It sounds like the cat would be alone for 18 hours a day and the time that your husband is there, he'll be working so not really focused on the cat. I think finding an older (6-8+) bonded pair that have been in a shelter for a while and are having a hard time getting adopted would be OK for this situation, cats that are more interested in each other than the people around them.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree re: TWO kitties. They'll keep other happy and the long nights won't seem so long. Make sure someone will go in on the weekends/holidays to care for them, too!
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I was also thinking two...and I was also thinking I would probably end up feeling sad and bringing them home anyway, lol.

The idea is on hold for right now, if the right cat or pair of cats comes along and desperately needs a place, it's an option.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I think it's a lovely idea, especially if you find two older, bonded pairs.
I want to add one concern: you say the probability of the cats escaping is low. Keep in mind that if the cat can fit his head into a space, he can fit his entire body. So cat proof and then cat proof some more. Oh, and if you have mice in the shop, be careful if/when you decide to exterminate them: what the mice eats, the cat also eats (if the cat is a mouser).
Ritzpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cat

I think this is a great ides, though I agree with the 2 cats idea for all of the reasons mentioned. Plus, it gives 2 more kitties space at a shelter. Also, I think everyone who can should have a kitty because they are epic love.

Others have mentioned any concern that I would have; and as Ive only ever encountered cats kept as pets or barn cats, I have nothing constructive to add on that front. But, the thought occurred to me that maybe you could find someone who has a similar set up and ask them about it? Someone mentioned the antique store cats, Im sure someone like the owners of that shop could give you lots of great thoughts on shop kitties.
mainecoonmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cat Addict

What do people do with shop cats during weekends and vacations????? I never understood this one...

I'd adopt a cat that was on death row, that way whatever turns out is only a better fate for the cat.

Where I live there are no shelters or adoptions, only the streets. I have a cat that lives on my bed. It's sad, but better to live among goose-feather duvets and eating the healthiest delicatessen snuggled with her human mommy all night and with vet attention when needed than die an early, horrible death alone in the streets as she was doing when I trapped her and brought her home. Judging by the copious amount of purring, she's not unhappy.
The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw, Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Straysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniela View Post
Be careful about how the employees of the business feel about the cat. A small kitten showed up where I work. The technicians loved having a "shop kitty" but I knew she needed to go before one employee in management came back from vacation. This individual hated cats and has killed some of the stray cats before. I ended up taking her to the city animal shelter since the no-kill shelters wouldn't take her. Apparently, they all operate where they take in cats scheduled to be euthanized at the shelters. I kept up with her and I'm happy to say that she was adopted almost immediately.
He KILLED stray cats before? I'd have killed him!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I used to run a heritage site - we had a resident cat called Twm who came from a rescue. It worked brilliantly - he was completely appropriate in a sixteenth century manor house! The staff adored him and the public loved him. He eventually retired to a staff member's home. He was also a very good pest controller!

Just noticed the post above - we only closed for two days a year and then there was a resident caretaker on site to feed him.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Straysmommy, we don't do weekends or vacations, lol, but if we had a cat there we would make arrangements for it just like our other pets if we went on a vacation.

But, with the unexpected adoption of Cheddar Biscuit, we're not going to do it right now.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement