I Cannot Believe the AUDACITY of some People! - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy1919 View Post
(Sorry for being off topic, but is that ET in your avatar?)
Yes and ya sorry for getting off topic too
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cool Cat

In this case, it's not the fact that she surrendered her cat. It's that she did it for not a legitimate reason and the fact that she wanted a puppy right after(again age wasnt the issue either). I understand that sometimes there are circumstances where people have no choice. I recently had to surrender a neighbourhood cat who 'lived' a few houses down. Basically he was thrown outside with no skill and expected to survive. He lived off of handouts and was nearly run over everyday(by myself or bf a few times as well). It was one of the most difficult things I had to do. I cried for days over it and he wasn't even my animal. I don't think I would be able to do it. I would find a way to make it work. Are all of my 3 cats and 1 dog perfect? Heck no. Were there times where I wanted to give up my very high energy Golden Retriever? Yes. Would someone else given her up if it wasn't me? Most likely yes. Same with all 3 of my cats. They all have issues that someone would probably give them up for. IMO you shouldn't have certain expectations when getting a 'forever' pet. People do and when they don't meet those expectations they are given up. It's sad and those people don't deserve animals.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

That's insane. I would never think of surrendering a pet to a shelter because of such a trivial reason. She could have rehomed him herself too. It doesn't take much effort to list him on craigslist.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
Cat

It doesn't seem a legitimate reason to me, but then I've always had Siamese cats *grin*. I can understand how that could get on someone's nerves if they meow constantly and for no (apparent) reason, but really it's not THAT bad. My current kitty isn't that vocal, but we always make a point of answering whenever she has something to say. I figure most of her kitchen conversations are simply reminders to us of where her treat jar is kept.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cat Addict

My complaint wasn't that she had taken a cat to a shelter - I had to hand over the mother cat earlier this year. It was the fact that she gave the cat up for that reason and was then willing to take on a young dog instead!

BUT, I think people are being a bit sweeping on the issue of age. My father adopted a young dog when he was in his seventies. Over ten years later, she was still being walked for at least five miles a day on her long walk (often more) as well as her short walks and the time just roaming while he was mucking out a horse. He out-lived her and she never went short of either exercise or high quality care.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
My complaint wasn't that she had taken a cat to a shelter - I had to hand over the mother cat earlier this year. It was the fact that she gave the cat up for that reason and was then willing to take on a young dog instead!
Yep. That is what I read. I follow.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Premier Cat

*shrugs* There's all kinds of people out there. Including people that really want a companion animal and will go out and get one as soon as they've lost their last one. And that's an animal they deeply loved. This woman likely was not very bonded to her cat - as I said before, she could have even done this so the animal could find a more suitable home (meowing can be annoying to people but as also noted many people really like it so she may think it would find another home easily), so to her getting another animal right away could be a matter of not wanting to dwell on what happened. A younger dog is not the same a cat constantly meowing, a younger dog may come with its own problems, but if she picks carefully she may find an a dog she really can bond with.

I actually give her credit in that regard for wanting a dog that's even a few years old. So many people only want a puppy they can shape from the very start; in fact my family is all like that, every dog we've ever had we've had as a puppy.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 11-19-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Cat

#huh to think I thought everything I went though for adopting Lily was a lot but in fact is nothing in order to keep her happy and healthy. I'm even changing h#er food to Blue Bufalo and her canned food too. I paid her #licence and Home Again I have spent already more than $100 on her and mind you I got her Nov.8 so people really need to think aboput getting and keepi#ng a pet is a lot of work,time consuming and spending, but is all worth it for the love they give back.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #29 (permalink)
Cat

Update!

Sambo (Bo for short) was pulled and is now with us.
I've heard him meow ONCE. ONE TIME.

And WOW he looks JUST like Matrix. I have a hard time telling them both apart!

He's a love. I'll have to get some pics of him up soon!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

This behaviour, to me, means that this person thinks of her pets as possessions rather than family members. Our new kitty, piper, drives us nuts half the time, but that doesn't make us love her any less and she will be a member of our family for her entire life without question.
Firebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement