I Cannot Believe the AUDACITY of some People! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default I Cannot Believe the AUDACITY of some People!

I know I haven't been on for a while, but today something happened that really upset me on several levels.

As you may or may not know, my mom and I are both very active in rescue. We have several foster kitties at any given time and will reach out to help anyone who asks for it. Whether it's to find a new home for their pet (dog or cat), help with behavior problems, basic health issues, etc. If anyone needs us regarding animals, we're there to offer what help we can.

So today, someone contacted my mom asking for help to find a lab in rescue available for adoption. We were looking around for a while, but we weren't entirely sure what all she wanted. Age, purebred or mixed, color, etc. So my mom called her to ask her.

Well.
They got to talking and apparently, earlier (IN THE SAME DAY), she dumped her cat at the shelter. Why? Because he meows too much.
My mom told her that they probably euthanized him already and she said she started crying. GOOD!

Fortunately, the owner of the rescue we foster for is friends with an animal control officer, and she was told that no one was put down today, so he is presumed SAFE.
She's going to go down to the shelter on Tuesday to pull him and we'll be fostering him when he's out.

With all that said, it should be able to go left unsaid that we are no longer helping this woman find a lab. I wouldn't be able to suggest a dog to her, then not worry about him/her winding up back in the shelter that s/he was rescued from.

I just don't get it. How can someone abandon one of their pets, then turn around not even a few hours later and ask for help to find a new one?!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's situations like these that make you wish that you could personally screen anyone who wants to adopt a pet - the same way I wish I could screen people who want to become parents.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

That's one thing I really like about the rescue we foster for. If someone comes for a home visit and we don't like them, we can deny the adoption or tell the rescue owner our concerns and she'll talk to them.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

omg. What happens when her Lab doesn't adjust to her lifestyle? Or she forgets to walk it and it poops in the house, or it digs in her garden or what if she's lucky enough to get a really active one (like Marley from the movie).. Then what happens?!? This woman is not the only freakshow out there who believes animals are disposable. Animals are for life. She doesn't deserve to just dump one and get one, it's not take-a-penny-leave-a-penny.

Unfortunately, without the help of your rescue, she might go elsewhere or find one on craigslist or classifieds which means there is even less screening.

Congrats on taking the cat though!
OliverandCo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

This is one reason I would like to see a change from pet ownership, to pet guardianship. It's the word 'owner' that I think gives people the idea that they have the right to dispose of an animal; throwing them out like a piece of unwanted furniture. I think guardianship would tend to carry an attitde change and stronger legal responsibilities and perhaps (hopefully) better care for some mistreated animals.

Many thanks to you and your mother for the good work you're doing.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

We gave her name to a bunch of local rescues so she's on the do-not-adopt list.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
We gave her name to a bunch of local rescues so she's on the do-not-adopt list.

good job! this woman and everyone like her should be blacklisted everywhere! what a stupid horrible woman. glad you were there to catch her so you could spread the word.
maggie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

At best stupid, selfish and twisted - at worst sick and evil!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Dumping a cat at a shelter is obviously not a kind thing to do (like, at its doors without admitting it properly)... however, maybe she did it because she feared responses just like are being seen here? Maybe she thought she wasn't bonding with this cat, had tried, and she wanted it to go to a better home? Maybe she realised she isn't a cat person. Who knows. The fact that she was crying when told it was likely already PTS (in under 24 hours? I really hope not.) shows she does have some compassion and did care for this cat enough to cry over it. A lot more than I can say for the people that leave their animals behind when they move, etc. Again, I don't agree with what she did and would never do this myself, but I can maybe see it from her angle -- and its a better angle than some people out there.

Anyway, I'm glad you'll be fostering him.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'm sorry but I am lacking in compassion to the woman. The cat cries too much and therefore has to go and then she wants an instantaneous replacement? What happens if the poor dog then barks too much? He goes to a shelter with no research done first? What next? A hamster who spins the wheel too loudly? it's not the fact she decided that she couldn't cope - it's the fact that she doesn't appear to have any thought for the animal - either present or future!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement