Eerie Up For Adoption - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Eerie Up For Adoption

Went this weekend to the Humane Society. My cat had to be put down on 11/6 and this is a picture of him.

This -

Is the cat that was at the shelter. What's weird is that the shelter cat had lingual ulcers, nose crusties, chipped teeth etc. which are so scarily similar to Tommy's issues. Tommy didn't have ulcerations that the vet could *see* - but I'm convinced advanced dental issues led to possible throat ulcerations or something. Either way, the symptoms and resemblance is shocking. The shelter cat wasn't available due to his condition - and there are oh so many, many reasons I shouldn't even be heartbroken and wanting to take him home, but my goodness.... I held this cat and could just feel his heart wanting love and ease from the hard life he's seen. I sat there crying. How could I not when it was as if my beloved pet had come back to me for another chance?
blondiegrl211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Most HS are kill shelters.

Did you speak to them saying your willing to get the sweet kitty the vet help he needs? Are they going to put him down? Or are they making him unavailable till he receives the medical help he needs?

If they're holding him till he can get the medical help he needs then why not be living with you while he receives the help? Oh I hope you can get him. Its the old guys that need the homes and are the hardest to adopt out plus people willing to give them a good life!

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Here's the thing - I really cannot responsibly take him because I lived with Tommy's illness for almost a year and you can only imagine how heartbreaking it was to see him appear to get better, then get worse, over and over. I really don't have money to even care for myself properly at this point in time, and for Tommy's care, a guardian angel actually paid for a lot of his costs. I can't take a cat in hoping for the best, because I've seen that relapses can and usually do occur and those cost - a lot. Having been in the position where I would lie on the floor with sick Tommy and cry and tell him if I only had the money I'd get him to a vet.... I can't go there again for my sanity and for the sake of this other cat. Yesterday, they said that cat could be adopted, if the adopter was willing to medicate - which lord knows now I have lots of experience in, but as I said, money-wise, I just can't do it. IF.... IF they would let me, I'd FOSTER him in a heartbeat, but since they're saying they're giving him the OK for adopting out, that wouldn't be an option.
blondiegrl211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
The shelter cat wasn't available due to his condition - and there are oh so many, many reasons I shouldn't even be heartbroken and wanting to take him home, but my goodness.... I held this cat and could just feel his heart wanting love and ease from the hard life he's seen. I sat there crying. How could I not when it was as if my beloved pet had come back to me for another chance?
Any possibility that you could foster for a couple of months and try to nurse the cat back to health. A happy environment has been shown to help animal health. Even if the health didn't improve a little holiday for the cat....

Missy's health has improved since I brought her home and started to spoil her. She's a senior and I'm not sure if it's that or the taurine supplement I give her that's helping her.

(Mashed and moistened wet food is probably the best way to feed a cat with mouth problems.)

The loss of a pet is heart rending. When Zenobi went I wanted to find an identical replacement. However, I didn't look for one because I knew I'd feel worse if it didn't measure up, and how could any cat measure up to Zenobi. Zenobi was a dark tortie, and Missy is ginger. I love Missy, but I feel stupid at times when I apologise to her for not having quite the same deep feelings that I had for Zenobi.

Sorry! Other posts appeared while I was composing this.

Last edited by jusjim; 11-19-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: addition
jusjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement