cages - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default cages

Cat Playpen Midwest Playpen for Cats & Kittens | PetSmart

Would this work for when company is over or when we go down the road when we wont be home to watch them ?
pitbullove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I think a cage like that should only be used in extreme situations, like if the cat has serious medical or behavioral problems and needs to be monitored. Seeing cats in cages like that makes me sad, it's basically what pet stores use for cats.

Most often when people aren't home they let their cats wander the house. If for whatever reason the cats can't be allowed that they are usually shut in a bedroom or other decently sized room with the needed litter box and such.

I'm also not sure why the cats would need to be caged while guests are over. If there's some sort of concern (guest having allergies or cats potentially attacking them are basically the only reasons I can think of) the cats are shut away in a spare room... otherwise, they're allowed to wander the house. Some cats just hide under a bed anyway when guests are over.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Oh man, my two would be banging the water dish against the bars and asking for a lawyer if I stuck them in jail like that....

When I have guests they are in heaven getting pets and worship from visitors. As Carmel said, if I have to lock someone up for some reason I put them in the bedroom with one of the litterboxes.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I agree with the others...as long as there is a spare room the cats can use, a cage shouldn't be necessary. They aren't like dogs who need to be crated. They generally get by just fine without their people for a day or two if you need to go out of town.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Well some family members(2) hates cats,also there is a 3 month old baby in the family and they dont want him near animals or their hair
pitbullove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

For the company/family issues, put the cat(s) in a spare room and vacuum before they come over. That should take care of the cat hair.

Or just don't have the people who don't like your animals over to your house. That's what I do.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

The baby will be around the cat hair at your house no matter what, you can't vacuum everything. I'd tell the family members that being exposed to cats at a young age increases the chances that they won't become allergic later in life (Study: Pets Halt Allergies In Infants), also animals enrich almost everyone's lives; as long as the baby and cat are supervised there should be no problems. The baby will become a more well-rounded adult for having exposure to every type of common household pet. Raising a child with an unfounded biased against cats is not a wise choice, if that's how they're thinking of playing it.

If they don't want the cat around, I'd either not have them over (my house, my cat, my rules!) or just shut the cat in a room and tell them not to go in there. The 3 month old baby certainly won't be opening the door.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 11-22-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement