Sad rescue situation - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Sad rescue situation

I posted yesterday about adopting a cat,well that was to be later on,after Christmas because people usually turn a lot in (unwanted gifts etc.) .

BUT now there is a 13 year old cat there,its owner went into a nursing home and the family didn't want her,I feel terrible for her,poor thing. Im not ready to adopt right now,so should I go with my gut and wait or help this poor cat?

The shelter puts them down when they get full,which is often.
pitbullove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Adopt her, you will never regret it if you do and always regret it if you don't.
Greenport ferals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

Well I think it depends on the reason why you are waiting. Is it just preference or do you have things going on right now that will prevent you from caring for a cat right now?

I have a soft spot for senior animals whether it be dogs or cats.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrissc View Post
Well I think it depends on the reason why you are waiting. Is it just preference or do you have things going on right now that will prevent you from caring for a cat right now?

I have a soft spot for senior animals whether it be dogs or cats.

Well I have a lot going on right now,plus I still have to get Sebastian neutered. I know its sad for the cat being there plus most people will chose a kitten over an adult anyday,but if I bring her here and not prepared it could stress me and the cat out Im not sure what to do
pitbullove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

You already have a commitment to Sebastian, so the important thing is to have him settled in his environment first, and to see if he will continue spraying after you neuter him, and to be prepared to try and train him out of the habit if it continues. That's a lot to bring a new cat into, and a lot of changes for Sebastian to be undergoing as well, since you mention he's currently an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats don't always adapt to indoor life easily and that could be another hurdle to face with him.

Another important factor is if this cat seems like a good match for Sebastian: Have you met this cat yet? Has it ever been around other cats? An older cat can become set in their ways of wanting a one-cat home.

There's always going to be stories similar to this cat cropping up... it's a common situation. If you're really thinking you'll regret it, please don't let me stop you from adopting this cat. It would be wonderful for it. But it comes with a lot of added responsibility.

Maybe it would be better to notify the shelter and ask them to contact you if the cat has not been adopted and express interest in fostering it before they have it PTS, or that you would consider possibly adopting it if you were its last hope.

Otherwise, I'd suggest not looking for cats when you're not ready. It's depressing knowing there's so many out there without loving homes.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 11-24-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

^ great post! There are a million stories out there that would break your heart.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
You already have a commitment to Sebastian, so the important thing is to have him settled in his environment first, and to see if he will continue spraying after you neuter him, and to be prepared to try and train him out of the habit if it continues. That's a lot to bring a new cat into, and a lot of changes for Sebastian to be undergoing as well, since you mention he's currently an outdoor cat. Outdoor cats don't always adapt to indoor life easily and that could be another hurdle to face with him.

Another important factor is if this cat seems like a good match for Sebastian: Have you met this cat yet? Has it ever been around other cats? An older cat can become set in their ways of wanting a one-cat home.
Oh my, yes. Dont even think about another cat till Sebastian gets his nuter, and then a few month more. We all see cats we want to save but somtimes we have to settle that we saved the cats we have. Go slow. Be smart.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree w/ Carmel. A 13 year old cat may well not want to live w/ a rambunctious young cat, and the spraying problem needs to be fully resolved (give it 6-12 months to be SURE), and the entire house professionally cleaned, before bringing in another cat.

I can find you 1000 similar tales every day, sad to say. We can't save them all, and our priority must always be those we have already added to our families.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement