How Many Cats Is Just Right For You? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default How Many Cats Is Just Right For You?

I think most people have a limit of animals that feels 'just right' to them. So what is your perfect number of cats or at least preferred number? I have two right now,and unless there is an awesome cat that I just 'can't' passup, I will be staying with that number. This question doesn't really apply to those in rescue because I'm sure you would prefer to have your rescue number at zero.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

haha, at this point in my life I have to say just one my cat doesn't get along great with other cats, and I'm working too much to devote time to another introduction, more vet bills, and all the other fun stuff that comes with another cat.

it is hard not to entertain the idea of adopting more animals though! i have to avoid sites like petfinder, etc
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Just one!!!
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Sometimes it feels like I could easily keep acquiring cats left and right but realistically I think two or three is a nice number. Depends of course on finances, type of living space, etc
zarah825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My limit would be three cats and two dogs, my happy place would be two cats and a dog, or the reverse of two dogs and a cat, maybe two cats and two dogs, cats are less maintenance. Right now we have three cats and (sometimes) two dogs.

We end up with all the weird cats, too. One sprays and had to be confined (we love him anyway), one is indoor/outdoor and we see her whenever she feels like showing up and snuggling (but I love her for it more than anything), and the other is a recent addition of a garage cat we've trapped and are trying to tame (unpredictable and food aggressive but also sweet).

Maybe I wouldn't mind more than two or three if I had normal cats and/or cats that got along.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 11-26-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

We had four for a while and that was a really great number. We have five permanent kitties now and it's a little more chaotic than I'd like, but two of them are kittens (9 mos and 1 year) so hopefully that will settle down in the next few months.

So far as rescues, I did learn that I have limits there too. I recently did an emergency intake from a property where kittens were dying while I still had a batch from the shelter. Shelter: mom and 3 kittens, 7 weeks. Rescue property: Mom and 3 kittens, 10 weeks, mom and 6 kittens, 3 weeks. Plus my permanent kitties (5).

We had 20 cats in the house for a week before the shelter kittens were old enough to go up for adoption, plus I was bottle-supplementing the youngest 6 kittens as mom wasn't producing enough milk for everyone. I don't want to ever have that many again. Once the 4 shelter fosters went back and I stopped bottle feeding ('cause they started eating solids), it was much easier, but I still think 10 fosters or less at once is my absolute limit.
Venusworld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Right now I am at my limit with 3 cats and a dog. Originally my limit was 2 cats and a dog but we ended up with three. I like having three so in the future I may have 3 again or just two. I will always have a dog as well.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

We have always been a one cat household. We had one cat and one dog for many years which worked - but I don't want to have another dog now, nice though they are. For a couple of years we had two cats, but they didn't get along and it wasn't easy. One cat for me - and Ruby agrees!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I currently have 2 cats and for me that's my limit. I feel i can give them all they need more than that and i'd worry that one wouldn't get enough attention etc. Never mind the time and expense factor.
If I had plenty of money and a larger house that would change things slightly. I'd go as high as 3 cats and add one dog to the mix..
So that would be my absolute limit.
Kaylesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

10 is my absolute limit.
Greenport ferals is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement