So what stops you.... - Page 6 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #51 (permalink)
Cat Addict

The strained relationship between the 3 cats I have. I've been adding a cat every few months and it's too much stress on them already.

Also, space is very reduced, but it doesn't matter much because if I had a huge mansion anyway the 3 of them would want to be on my lap 24/7.
Straysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #52 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Cost. As cats get older, just like older humans, they need more expensive care. I lost my 20 year old Birman last month after several years of battling heart and kidney disease, arthritis, and the loss of all his teeth. During the last few years of his life he was running $everal thousand a year in medical bills. His somewhat younger Maine Coon buddy had a variety of heath problems in the last couple of years of his life and was costing something similar.

And then there's food, litter, etc.
plnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #53 (permalink)
Cat

Your cat is lucky to have such dedicated people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusworld21 View Post
Over 5 years and with some very bad luck, our girl Tinners cost us about $5000. She had a broken leg (amputated after 3 months due to infection). She went into liver failure. Spent a week in ICU at the vet and then I tube fed her for a month. She had a bladder infection.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #54 (permalink)
Tom Cat

1- 7 ) My boyfriend. But he's only being reasonable and taking into consideration these other reasons:

8 ) Limited litter box space
9 ) Limited apartment space in general. We live in a single story apartment and I just don't think there's enough room for two or more kitties to get away from each other and have time to themselves.
10 ) Our cat is happy being an only cat. She hates change, and is incredibly playful with us and with our schedules we're able to play with her as much as she needs. Maybe when she was younger it would have been beneficial to have another (we rescued her too young and she didn't have enough time to be properly socialized) but now that she's 2 1/2 years she's adapted very well and is a happy go lucky kitty who keeps herself in shape by chasing us around the apartment.
Layla0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #55 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

another 300.00 pet deposite
soonersseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #56 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My hubby stops me from getting another cat. I have two right now. If I could I would have three or four. I dont think I would want more than that because Im afraid I wouldnt be able to pay enough attention to all of them.
Bonnie037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #57 (permalink)
Cat

I would LOVE to have more (even just another!) cat, but my single cat would HATE having another cat around!! And her happiness means more to me than anything pretty much.. soo yeah.. so, the limiting factor is my cat. But, while the thought of her not being around is too horrible to even think about, someday I'm going to have 3-4 cats I think (space/money depending)..but who knows.
ezmeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #58 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Space. My boyfriend and I live in a one bedroom terrace and we have enough space for one cat. We are actually trying to take in an abandoned cat, which would just be cosy enough for us. All of our cat bed, scratcher and food is in our bedroom, so it takes up all the space. If we got another cat, food would probably have to go downstairs to fit in a bed and another litter box
lausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #59 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I am always so tempted, I continually fall in love with someone new at the shelter where I volunteer.

BUT ... there is a relatively delicate balance of personalities, hierarchy, energy levels, and territory with the two I have ... I just don't think it would be fair (to the cats) to introduce another into the mix.
NebraskaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #60 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I hope that eventually I'll be able to have another cat (or two,) but for right now the two I already have is my limit.

1.) Money. Right now I'm only working part-time (not by my choice) and getting another animal just isn't an option until I find full-time work.

2.) Uncertainty of living arrangements. I'm going to be moving before long, and possibly relocating to a different area. Either way I'll need to find rental housing. It wouldn't be a good time to try to work in another family member anyway, and finding an apartment that allows three pets seems like for some reason it's a lot harder than finding an apartment that allows two.

3.) Maisie is having some health problems right now, and all other factors aside I want to make sure those are fully under control before bringing in another cat and the inevitable new issues a new arrival brings.

4.) My boys are very well bonded, and I worry a little that another cat would mess up our good dynamic. I think it could work out, but I want to think long and hard and make sure it's a good decision before I commit to another cat.

Hopefully someday, though.

The Boys: Maisie (age 9, adopted 2007,) Zephyr (age 8, adopted 2006,)
Bentley
(age 3, adopted 2013,) and foster kitty Cullen
Blakeney Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement