Kitten Location Problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Question Kitten Location Problem

Hello everyone. So, I am going to get my rescue kitten in a few months. I know that's so long from now, but it's better than no kitten at all! My dad, who had a bad experience with cats awhile back, finally gave in and said yes. I asked him if it could live in my room and he replied, "What?! The cat is going to live OUTSIDE not in my house" I told him the new kitten could get lost, get seriously hurt and catch deseases and infection etc. But he said if I don't agree on keeping the kitten outside, there will be no kitten at all. What should I do? What is the safest way to keep a kitten outside? Please no hate, I am totally againt this, but stubborn parents will be stubborn parents. Help me please! Thank you!

Last edited by marie73; 12-23-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Purring_Kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I would not get a kitten knowing it will have to stay outside.
CatMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I also agree, please don't get a cat. Wait until you get your own place and can keep it outside. Cats should not be outside nor confined to one room.. it should have free roam in the house. There is no safe way to keep a cat outdoors. It will probably be killed in a matter of weeks if it is a kitten which is very cruel, so please let someone else adopt the kitten who can give it a proper home indoors.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Agree with above comments. dont take that kitten. keeping him outdoors is dangerous for many reasons.
just wait until you will be able to have cat indoors. I know how it feels, I had to wait 5 years until I adopted my cats.
anie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's not so much a problem as it is a non-issue. Don't get a cat. Your parents obviously don't want to have one nor understand the parameters of what makes an owner. A shelter will not give you a cat as owning an outdoor cat is like not owning one at all. It's extremely irresponsible for all the reasons you listed.

Moreover, just getting a cat (I would never get a kitten in this situation) and dropping outside your door without first bonding with it - that would take several weeks - is a surefire way to never see it again. Also keeping a perfectly normal cat in one room is not responsible either.

Sorry, but do the right thing.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

While I have indoor / outdoor cats, I think this could be a recipe for disaster. A kitten on its own will not only not have the skills required for living outside, he / she will have no adult role model to help. If the kitten is turned out without any chance to bond either with a person or a place he /she is very likely to get lost or - at the very best - decide to move in with someone else. If the kitten is living purely outdoors, it will also limit your chances for building a relationship. Short of a purpose built, secure "cat house" and I am not even recommending that, you could be setting yourself up for heartbreak. Even if the kitten survives and stays around it would be very hard for you to have the kind of relationship you dream of.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I agree with everyone else, but I do have to disagree with the not keeping a cat confined to a room. For a new cat/kitten, you want to keep him/her confined to a room in the beginning. Let him/her get used to the new surroundings, then gradually let the cat/kitten out to explore the rest of the house.

In regards to what your dad is saying about the kitten living outside, why don't you contact the rescue your kitten is at and have them contact your dad and explain that if he insists on the kitten staying outside, then you won't be able to adopt it. Maybe coming from the rescue instead of you would hold more weight? It's worth a shot.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4kitties View Post
I agree with everyone else, but I do have to disagree with the not keeping a cat confined to a room. For a new cat/kitten, you want to keep him/her confined to a room in the beginning. Let him/her get used to the new surroundings, then gradually let the cat/kitten out to explore the rest of the house.
Of course. But that wasn't what they were suggesting. Their idea was their bedroom (which even just that their parents are against) or outdoors. A cat in one room indefinitely is cruel. They need room to roam, they will be bored and destructive.

I live with a confined cat (actually, two at the moment) and it is by far not an ideal situation. One sprays and one is semi-feral, so they are confined. You always need to close the doors behind you, and despite the rooms being fairly large and with nice windows, and both cats being older (7ish & 17), the cats are somewhat bored and lonely - they don't sleep all the time. A kitten would be a million times worse, with incredible energy. A confined cat meows and scratches at the door as well, they know there's more to explore on the other side of the door and they want to be with you.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Hi Purring_Kitties!

Hmmmmm..........maybe it's time for some strategy sessions. Is there anyone else at home with whom you could...well, plot? Is your mom with you and your dad?

You said that your dad "had a bad experience with cats awhile back".....what was that all about?

I wouldn't give up just yet.
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If your Dad won't let the cat inside, he certainly won't pay vet bills if the cat gets sick.

Definitely wait until you have your own place.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement