Cat tree/condo for a fluffy cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Cat tree/condo for a fluffy cat?

I am looking to get a cat tree for my fluffy ragdoll kitten. He is now 12 weeks old, and already quite long haired. He hates blankets and warm blankety surfaces. He prefers to sleep on cooler surfaces, such as leather, shopping bags.. If he is sleeping on a carpet, he will lean against a leather couch or stainless steel lamp base.
I went to major pet stores and found that cat trees are mostly made of carpet and other soft blanket-like materials. I think this cat would hate it, as he doesn't like being warm.. How do other owners of fluffy cats deal with it? Is there a type of cat tree without carpet all over the sitting/sleeping surfaces?
purr machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Modern Cat had wood, chic designs but pricey.

Cat trees are great tools for a cats entertainment and keeping variety in their lives. Put them by a window so they have a view of the outdoor world. Great for climbing and scratching. Cats love height too.

I hate the look of cat trees so mine is on a screened in porch and is used day and night! I dont think the warm factor would be an issue.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I have fluffy cats all my life (Birman, Siberian, Persian) and none of them have issue with carpet or seems to favor cooler surface. I have hard-wood floor at home and one of my cats favorite spot is the small carpet at the entrance

There are a lot of wood cat condo you can buy. They are usually more expensive than the carpeted one. One of our forum member bought this tree a few months ago, and she likes it
Amazon.com: Sebastian Modern Cat Tree in White: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Sebastian Modern Cat Tree in White: Pet Supplies

We also have a Bengal owner on this forum who DIY a cat tree using an old bookshelf/utility shelf. And I think this cat tree looks very sassy
The Refined Feline 69" The Lotus Cat Tree in Espresso | Wayfair
Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

My Muffs is a Ragdoll, and when she was a kitten, she too would always prefer cool, hard surfaces. She would sleep on the ceramic tile, next to the rug, but not on the rug. She hated blankets and anything soft. I had a large round wicker basket with a pillow inside. If I took the pillow out, she would sleep on the hard wicker, but she refused to go in the basket if the pillow was there.

Yet, when I bought her a carpeted tree, she loved it, and she stayed on it constantly. So, perhaps yours too might like the tree.

As others have mentioned, you can get all wood, although you won't likely find one in a pet store and will likely need to order online. I tried doing that, only to find I couldn't get delivery to Canada (always a pain). If you're handy, your other alternative would be to make one yourself.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I would get the carpeted cat tree as they are most cost effective then toss shopping bags onto the platforms or major lounging sections if that's what they prefer to sleep on. If you're handy with a sewing machine you could even make little slipcovers. I bet you could get fake leather or vinyl remnants at a fabric store big enough to cover the platforms on the cat tree.

I'd leave all of the posts alone so they are encouraged to scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingying View Post
I have fluffy cats all my life (Birman, Siberian, Persian) and none of them have issue with carpet or seems to favor cooler surface. I have hard-wood floor at home and one of my cats favorite spot is the small carpet at the entrance

There are a lot of wood cat condo you can buy. They are usually more expensive than the carpeted one. One of our forum member bought this tree a few months ago, and she likes it
Amazon.com: Sebastian Modern Cat Tree in White: Pet Supplies

We also have a Bengal owner on this forum who DIY a cat tree using an old bookshelf/utility shelf. And I think this cat tree looks very sassy
The Refined Feline 69" The Lotus Cat Tree in Espresso | Wayfair
I also bought the modern cat tree and my siberian kitten loves it. She goes inside the house, which is carpeted or lays down on the top shelve, the none carpeted area. There is also a scratching pad on the bottom and se uses it quite bit. Occasionally she will hide there when she plays,thinking that no one can see her. Lol

I wouldn't recommend using plastic bags because my girlfriends cats ate one. My hasn't shown interest in doing so but I don't keep any bags in her reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I too would try a carpeted cat tree. If she doesn't like it, you can always buy a ceramic tile and put that on one of the sleeping areas in hopes that your kitty will use it as the ceramic will stay cooler.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by purr machine View Post
I am looking to get a cat tree for my fluffy ragdoll kitten. He is now 12 weeks old, and already quite long haired. He hates blankets and warm blankety surfaces. He prefers to sleep on cooler surfaces, such as leather, shopping bags.. If he is sleeping on a carpet, he will lean against a leather couch or stainless steel lamp base.
I went to major pet stores and found that cat trees are mostly made of carpet and other soft blanket-like materials. I think this cat would hate it, as he doesn't like being warm.. How do other owners of fluffy cats deal with it?
Does this answer your question? (my late Birman companion Jean Luc and his Maine Coon buddy Albert)

plnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat

plnelson They seem to enjoy it

Thank you all for answers! I am still looking through the options.. I noticed that non-carpeted trees are much more expensive, and seem to look more like normal furniture than cat trees.. I am not sure if I am ready to pay 300-400 for a tree just yet..
purr machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

See opportunity, take opportunity.

Armarkat........... I give it a 6.5 out of 10.

GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement