Animal Haters.... - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I get it all the time. The most recent is "you are going to be an animal hoarder when you get out of the house"(from my parents). Yeah i may say "I want" but that doesn't mean i "will get". i just ignore them and leave the house and take the dogs to the lake or somewhere to play. I have 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 1 cat,1 ferret, 1 betta fish, 20+ guppies, 3 mollies, a snail and pleco. I wouldn't mind another rabbit,truthfully. i want a flemish Giant. I have a rex mix and a mini lop right now. There just so fun to watch and play with.I also wouldn't mind another ferret.There just so cool. People are always saying rude stuff. it honestly gets ridiculous at times.
Dicesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat Addict

At present, I have six cats, a dog and a horse and feed wild animals. In the past I have had jackdaws so tame I could garden with them on my shoulder!! We used to take in and rehabilitate wild animals and some never chose (and they had the choice) to go back. People thought we were nuts - people still think we are! Do I care? Quite the reverse!!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat Addict

We get friends who call our home a "fish farm", cos we had nearly 100 discuses at one point, we still have many discuses, cos many had died of old age. Now that I added one cat, my very close friend raised her eye brow and said we should have spent our money on human instead of pets, "Go adopt a baby instead of a cat". I wasn't at all offended, just knew she didn't like pets, and well she is free to dislike pets and I am free to "LIKE" pets. We are still close friend but now we don't talk about pets, she learnt to accept the fact that no matter what she says, I'll still have pets. No matter how much my mom hates pets, she will still be my mom, I can't change that.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premier Cat

We have 6 indoor cats and when people that don't know us well come over they are always amazed at how clean and neat the house is (helps to have gotten rid of the carpets!) and comment on how the house DOESN'T stink. It's called "scooping the litter box" I tell them!!
I'm personally annoyed that people would comment on MY brood and expect me to say nothing about all their little snotty nosed .....sorry, did I just say THAT???? BAD cat mom!!!
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cat

Whenever I encounter people who getted grossed out by the fact that I have animals in my house, I tell them that they are more than welcome to go elsewhere. I've ended a friendship with someone because I hit a dog and they told me to keep going because 'it was just a stupid dog. The dog was a Rottweiler mix and was quite large.This person wouldn't help me get her into my car and complained the whole way to the emergency vet. Needless to say, they found their own way home and I never talked to them again.

The dog recovered well and I was able to find her a great home. I still see her from time to time.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Why is it in this country no one raises an eyebrow if couple dont have children but they feel free to comment if you have more than two cats???

There is something wrong with people who hate or dislike animals.

The number one question I'm always asked is "how many cats do you have now"?

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Not just in your country, in our country too and I guess in most people's mind, (at least in my family/relatives/friends'). Its ok to spend money and indulge on ourselves if we have no children, or on our children, our family, but certainly not on pets. I can't imagine how my other family members, relatives and friends will react if I were to take in another cat or dog.

Last edited by marie73; 01-01-2013 at 09:11 PM.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicesmom View Post
I get it all the time. The most recent is "you are going to be an animal hoarder when you get out of the house"(from my parents). Yeah i may say "I want" but that doesn't mean i "will get". i just ignore them and leave the house and take the dogs to the lake or somewhere to play. I have 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 1 cat,1 ferret, 1 betta fish, 20+ guppies, 3 mollies, a snail and pleco. I wouldn't mind another rabbit,truthfully. i want a flemish Giant. I have a rex mix and a mini lop right now. There just so fun to watch and play with.I also wouldn't mind another ferret.There just so cool. People are always saying rude stuff. it honestly gets ridiculous at times.
This is one thing that makes me mad very quickly and I WONT stand for... being called a hoarder. The lady who talked to me (it was my dear aunt) started to threaten that I may one day become a hoarder. Upon seeing the look on my face, she stopped. I think she knew if she continued that she would have been in for it.

I STRONGLY DISLIKE it when people use the word hoarder incorrectly. Hoarding isn't JUST about how many animals you have but also how well they are taken care of. Technically someone could have just 4 cats and not take care of them well and be considered a hoarder.

Last edited by marie73; 01-02-2013 at 12:57 AM.
JustOneMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Sheesh all my friends call me the crazy cat lady and I only have two and that's it.... I would gladly take more animals if I could afford a zoo I used to have a ball python and a dog.... And id really like both again someday. I'm also curious about rabbits recently. One of my friends on Facebook always posts super cute pictures of her and her rabbit and I'm kind of jealous lol I used to have them when I was little but never since. I would love to have a lionhead or a mini lop! But for now I think the next thing on the agenda is a Cane Corso puppy. I think my husband would kill me if I got a rabbit for myself first cuz he always whines how the cats are attached to me and not him lol and he whines "How he doesn't have an pet.... "

On the subject of people who hate animals.... I think maybe most of the time these people were just pet deprived by their parents as a child and when they actually get around one they think they are "gross" because they don't understand the joy of having one... Now the people who have no respect for other living things like the hitting the dog with the car incident I read up there is something I wouldn't stand for either... I've almost rolled my 4wheeler cuz I didn't want to hit a poor squirrel let alone a dog. But how she said you should have kept driving is absolutely terrible. That kind of mentality is something I will never understand... Some people might think I'm out of line when I say all living things are equal including my cats but I strongly believe it. Just because we "think" we are the better species doesn't give us the right to abuse others.... I have this slight issue with my husband sometimes..... He really wants kids and I tell him every time that " when you can take care of the cats like I do then we can have kids but until then... NO" and he always preaches to me that a cat isn't the same as a human child and I say well you may think that but I disagree. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Premier Cat

No one will ever convince me that someone who hates animals can be a good person. People who actively dislike animals are all suspect in my mind.

People who don't understand how humans can treat animals as family members, on the other hand, are just misguided.

Sometimes it's just different cultural norms. I have friends from various countries who wouldn't think of spending $1000 if a pet gets sick - not because they can't afford it, but because they don't see pets as family members.

The children v. pets thing drives me out of my mind. I don't have human children and have never wanted any. I think they're cute for about 20 minutes and then I want them to go back to their mom or dad. To some people, that's weird but acceptable. But then they find out that I have two cats that I spoil to death, and suddenly it's not acceptable that I don't have children.

Whatever. I'm sure they do things that I don't think are acceptable either. As long as they don't start proselytizing, I can coexist with them.
spirite is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement